1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Will 6.1 sound formats become fully embraced with High Definition DVDs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronNWilson, Aug 23, 2001.

1. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

I have to admit it is really quite irksome that the 6.1 formats have been out for quite some time and very few DVDs are yet to embrace the format. Is there some conspiracy in the upper levels of administration that is preventing the uptake of 6.1 sound production? Is it because they don't want to possibly upset the fast flowing DVD market with a new format which will provide cause for concern to people that are still purchasing 5.1 recievers and controllers?
    I just don't get it, and it makes me think that the situation isn't just as simple as it takes time for new things to become the standard. I am imagining that something is holding the 6.1 formats back.
    This is why I ask about HD DVDs because most likely people will be buying new equipment anyway to utilize them.
    Aaron

2. Steve T

Steve T Stunt Coordinator

Maybe it's the consumer who is not embracing the format. I have no desire for 6 channels and a sub, 5 is too many.

3. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

I know everyone probably has different and personal opinions on this. My feeling is bring on the additional channels if it improves the HT experience!
    ------------------
    Scott

4. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Just like DTS...it takes a little while [​IMG]
    When more movies are produced with these technologies for the theaters...we'll be able to grab them for the home.
    Don't believe for a minute that the HT experience will end with DD and DTS. I remember last year wondering where all the DTS titles were....seems like now, everything new or Ultimate Edition has a DTS soundtrack.
    Be patient, they're coming.
    Jeremy

5. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

How about 7.1 discrete DSD (Direct Stream Digital)?? That would ROCK!!
    Dan
    ------------------
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!