will 50 watts @ 8ohms be enough to power a 25-31 svs??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Fineberg, Oct 19, 2001.

1. Brian Fineberg

Brian Fineberg Second Unit

I have an old reciever that is rated at 50 watts 8ohms lying around. At 4ohms will this be enouhg to power this sub or would I be better off saving and getting a pwered sub? I want ONLY an SVS I need one!!:)
    thanks
    -B

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

3. Brian Fineberg

ok, thanks for th info. What would you say would be the LEAST rated in an 8ohm load to use??
    -B

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I wouldn't go under 150W to power a subwoofer, 250W and over is a better wattage for an amp, especially if it'll handle a 4 ohm load.
    Ohms are a nominal measure of resistance/impedance of the driver (represent the "load" to the amp which provides the current to the driver), which varies with the frequency of the input signal. The important thing is to match the amp with the nominal impedance of the subwoofer's driver. I can't remember if the SVS's are 4 ohm drivers or 8 ohm drivers. But if the amp will handle 4 ohm loads, then it'll easily handle 8 ohm loads (but it's power rating will be less than for a 4 ohm load). But if the amp isn't designed to handle 4 ohms loads (due to it not being able to provide enough current to the subwoofer driver), then only find subwoofers that have a nominal 8 ohm rating.
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

5. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

I agree with Patrick. I had a 130w/ch Kenwood THX amp which used to clip. Then I got an Anthem MCA-3 which was much better but clipped in 1 or 2 places(the DTS demo DVD #4--the Haunting) at reference level.
    Now I use a Cinepro 3K6II--no clipping on TPM DVD or Haunting even at Reference.

6. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Ditto with Patrick, I use to have an old receiver pump my two subs with 55 watts per channel. You can hear the distortion even in bass, when your pushing it to the limit. Clipping is a pain in the a** also. When I changed it to my AB amp that pushes 250 watts per channel, the difference was simply incredible. Bass was deeper, louder with no distortion. I never thought of pulling out my old Power Amp from my D.J. days to power my subs.
    ------------------
    ONCE, I CONSIDERED SPARING YOUR RETCHED LITTLE PLANET CYBERTRON, NOW.., YOU SHALL WITNESS IT'S
    DISMEMBERMENT...
    MY HT PIXS

7. Brian Fineberg

Damn!!! I guess I will just have to wait to save up more money to get the amp with the sub. do you suggest the svs/amp combo or just the pc sub??
    -B

8. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

Check out SVS's website ( svsubwoofers.com ). Their FAQ page might answer some of your questions about this specific issue. They mention a range of 100-300 watts and also speak to the ohms issue.
    Patrick is a DIY guy. My understanding is that generally, DIY (especially sealed) subs require more power for the same SPLs as SVS subs. SVS subs are known to be very efficient with little power. This is why I am stongly considering SVS as I hope to power one of their CS subs with an old Kenwood Pro-Logic 100 watt receiver that I have around. Tom or Ron would be better suited to answer your specific question about your 50 watt amp.
    JKS
    ------------------
    My one goal in life is to live forever.
    Ya know what? . . . So far, So good! Yeah!

9. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

More power = more bass...(in this context)
    But, if the receiver is rated a t50w/8ohm...chances are is can hit 80-100w into a single 4ohm load.
    So moving up to 150w is only going to be like a dB or two difference. Going from say 80w to 350w will give you a nice 5-6dB of extra headroom though...so it tends to add up.
    If you're subless now, you might consider adding a 25-31cs powered by your receiver now...and then purchasing a second 25-31cs/S700 in the future.
    TV

10. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

And then perhaps a powered 25-31 ULTRA in the not-so-distant future??
    Sorry, Tom. I, I....couldn't resist.

11. Brian Fineberg

TOm, Well no I am not subless,I am using a sony sawm40 but i want to upgrade badly. I just need to get an svs as cheaply as possible. I just bought new mains and acenter so staying under 500 for sub+amp would be ideal. 369 for an awesome sub(25-31cs) would be even better. I just want to have the best bass possible for as little money as possible. I was just trying to figure out my options. I know they will all entail an svs but how to get that is the next Q.
    Thanks
    -B

12. Brian Fineberg

whats the price on taht and is it standalone? or do I have to mount it or something??
    -B

13. Brian Fineberg

I got the link I just don't understand it? are they supposed to be mounted or....I am not sure what to do with them....help me out hehe

14. Brian Fineberg

Oh I see. oops thanks for the concern though:)
    That sounds like a good idea I just need an idea on how to make that box for the amp. I just want it to be electrically safe and so it doesn't gett to hot or whatever else mght be a problem. Thayt would make for a VERY economic SVS sub!!!! thanks for your tips and anymore information is greatly appreciated!!
    -B

15. GregC

GregC Stunt Coordinator

I would suggest an AudioSource Amp One or Amp Two ($229/$249 from JandR.com). These amps have 200w in bridged mode and will drive the SVS (I have a 20-39) to very loud levels. I was using one channel from an old 50w receiver prior to purchasing and Amp Two and I have to say that the difference was huge. Much better dynamics and more clarity. You may be able to find a used one for less on E-bay or audiogon. Good luck.