What's new

Will 4ohm Speakers work with Denon 4802 (1 Viewer)

Bolivar G

Second Unit
One of the speakers im Currently considering buying are the new Polk Lsi's (Lsi 15's). I just found out they are rated at 4ohms!
The Denon reciever only had power listing for 8 and 6 ohms. How would 4ohm effect the player and what kind of long term effect will this have on it? Will it shorten its life??

AustinKW

Stunt Coordinator
Call Denon and get it from the horse's mouth. Don't rely on a dealer's opinion or those from others on the forum. It's your feet in the fire. If Denon tells you "no problem", try to get it in writing. Also make sure the Denon warranty won't be voided by running 4 ohm speaks. Good luck.

Austin

Aslam Imran

Second Unit
I would be cautious running 4 ohm speakers with any mass market receiver including flagships. If you have a large room and like to listen at loud volumes and watch plenty of action titles or listen to orchestral music then stick to 8 ohm speakers for the most part. In case you plan on getting a separate amp then go for the 4 ohm ones.

Walt N

Second Unit
The 4802 has a pretty damned decent toroidal transformer and reasonable storage capacitors which should deliver plenty of current to the LSi's. The 4 ohm spec is missing from Denon's literature due to UL requirements which suppose a worst case scenario ie. vents blocked by component stacking during full throttle testing.
I'd give the 4802 enough room to breathe and keep the rowdy party guests away from the volume knob. Running such a load on the 4802 will cause it to run hotter than a true 8 ohm average load, but were talking about trimming just a couple of years off of what should be a VERY long lifespan. You'll upgrade long before then anyway. (I hear Dolby Virtual Reality 3D is just around the corner.);) Quite frankly, I'll eat my monitor if you have any load problems with that little beast and the LSi's.
Keep in mind also, that running a sub reduces the load significantly as does using the bookshelf models. If you're going to run 5 or more LSi-15's full range I'd be extra careful.

Bolivar G

Second Unit
Thanks for the info.
No I dont plan to run Lsi 15's all around. Would still use a sub with them since I will mostly be watching movies on this. If I decide to go with the Polks, will get the matching CC and surrounds FX.
The 4ohm thing has me paranoid now for getting this speakers.

peter a

Stunt Coordinator
i know what you're saying... i was really concerned about buying the 3802 and really considered the yamaha line due to their capacity to switch between 4 and 8 ohm... i'm going to purchase my axiom speakers (m80s) which are 4 ohm and wire them to the amp. apparently many people have had success running 4ohm speakers to the amp. we'll see- good luck.
p

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
As a 4802 owner I use 8ohm speakers all around.

Officially in the manual it recomends using 6-16ohm speakers.

However there is nothing that says not to use 4ohm speakers. Many people have done it before. Running at high volume can trip the protector circuit if the unit gets too hot. Ensure good ventelation, adding more breathing room than the required 10cm will certainly help. Adding fans is a possibility also.

I agree doing this may shorten receiver life so I strongly recomend moving to separate amps, at least for the main channels for now and then for all the rest later. While you wait to get some amps it'll be fine to use the 4802 to drive those speakers as long as you keep that receiver cool, and you don't crank it for extended amounts of time.

Also, like Austin said, it is a good idea to call Denon Support and ask them, they'll probably tell you the same thing I just told you, but for reassurance do that. It would suck to Kill a $2,499 receiver right off the bat.

Good luck.

Bolivar G

Second Unit
Now you have really made me paranoid :) I will proably take this off my list of possible speaker purphase or maybe looks into getting a amp to run with the 4802 if for some reason I fall in luv with them when I hear them.

Walt N

Second Unit
Really Boliver, don't sweat over this. Your 4802 will run Polk LSi's just fine with negligable ill effects.
BTW even when running 4 ohm speakers, receivers with a 4 ohm switch should not be used with the switch in the 4 ohm position assuming adequate ventilation.
This link explains it pretty well.
(See "Impedance Selector Switches") http://www.audioholics.com/Buyreceiv...dance_selector

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Walt that this is not much of a concern.
Denon receivers rates well into 4ohms unlike Yamaha's and especially Sonys,with the switch.
Those swithes simply limit the current that receiver could output,so it won't overheat,a clear sign of "weak" design.

AndyHangartner

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 4802 with four psb silver i's,all 4ohm. Although I now run a seperate amp the denon did just fine. Don't let anyone tell it would be a problem.(at high 105+db volumes)
andy

David Werner

Stunt Coordinator
Bolivar G Back when I had a Denon AVR2700, I ran 5 M&K LCR55's, which are 4 ohm speakers. I too was concerned and contacted Denon which stated that my speaker choice would be OK. I did not get it in writing, never really thought about it. I highly doubt that if you needed any warranty work that Denon would send out detectives to see what speakers or other equipment were wired to your system.

Bolivar G

Second Unit
OK im not as paranoid now :) Thanks for the Link Walt.
Sounds like the impedance switch is for the weaker receivers and a gimmick of sort.
Should be fine with the Denon if I dont crank it to insane level for hours on end.

Mike_Mag

Auditioning
Bolivar G, I haven't noticed any issues when running the 3802 into a 4 ohm speaker. I've been running the MK LCR750 for several years with multiple Denon recievers. Just make sure it has enough "brething' room and you should be fine. Good listening......lets us know how it sounds.
Mike;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks