Wildcard searches in Replay?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Koegel, May 16, 2001.

1. Tom Koegel

Tom Koegel Stunt Coordinator

I'd like to create my own theme channel to catch "Dinosaur" shows. It appears that Replay, though, treats the strings "dinosaur" and "dinosaurs" as two different words. I could, of course, create two channels, but that seems like an inefficient use of my disk space--particularly since I would have to guarantee some space to both. Does anyone know if there is a way to search for wild card strings (sort of like dinosaur* in the DOS/Win world)?
    Tom Koegel

2. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

How about just setting up non-guranteed theme channels for both? Instead of guaranteeing the disk space you could just set it up as non-guaranteed, and if it records something you want you could select "preserve epsidoe" so it doesn't get recorded over.
    I only guarantee space for my regular can't miss shows and everything else (recurring cable shows I like etc.) is non-guaranteed. As long as you keep some non-allocated space on your disk for the various theme shows that might get recorded you won't have to worry about guaranteeing space for each individual one (since it will vary what shows wll be on at what times.)
    I hope that makes some sense, as I am finding it hard to explain [​IMG]

3. Tom Koegel

Tom Koegel Stunt Coordinator

Jodee,
    Thanks for the tip. I probably have too many "guaranteed" channels. What I'd really like is to guarantee about 2 hours, say, for a half hour show--but have another non-guaranteed slot of time on top of that. That way, I'd keep AT LEAST 2 hours, and get whatever else I have space for. But I don't think the software allows for part-guaranteed, part not-guaranteed either.
    Tom

4. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

What I usually do with my non-guaranteed shows is to play with the "hours to keep" controls.
    For instance, I saw Sliders was going to be on the Sci-FI channel, but they were going to play a block of 5 episodes in an afternoon. I set my non-guaranteed Sliders channel to keep 5 hours.
    As long as you have some spare memory on your machine they won't get wiped out. (I have had these Sliders shows on my machine for a month already!)
    I usually always make sure my machine has at least 15 hours free for my non-guaranteed shows.
    If I keep more memory free but don't guarantee them, that way the free memory can be spread around to whatever shows happen to be on.
    For instance I tape LA Law and Charlie's Angels every day (they are on in the mornings) but I don't guarantee them so it doesn't suck up a lot of dedicated memory space. I also tape the X-Files FX reruns at 6:00 every day.
    But at night I zap out the ones I've already seen to free the space. And I also have each of them set to keep up to 3 hours, because sometimes I can't watch the unseen ones every day if there is a lot. But I find that this works out a lot better than guaranteeing 2 hours for each of these shows, since I won't obviously need all that time for each show at all times.
    I have a 60 hour unit, and I always try to make sure I have at least 15 -20 hours free for these non-guaranteed shows. It works out pretty well.

5. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

Also, another thing you might try--
    I have a few of my favorite directors set up as theme channels. I had first set them as "keep 2 hours". But I found that it kept recording a different movie or often movies that I already own on DVD and didn't want.
    So I changed the theme channel to only keep 1/2 hour, which basically means it doesn't record any movies on its own. However it keeps that an "active" channel on my replay unit. So every few days or so when I am surfing around with my Replay I'll hit the "Find Matching Shows" button on the channel.
    If it pops up a movie I do want, then I just touch the record button once so I can set a guaranteed record for that film.
    I have found that option works really for me in certain situations. It keeps disk space to only what you want to see, while still making it very easy to find the shows you want to record with the touch of a button.
    So that might be a good way to create both a Dinosaur and Dinosaurs channel. Make them-non guaranteed and then do a search once or twice a week to find shows you want to guarantee.