What's new

Wild Wild West - where's the MIB's eye flash memory erasing device when you need it? (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe how dire this film is. It doesn't work on any level. There's a superb interview with Barry Sonnenfeld in this month's Empire magazine, in which he explains why he thinks it failed, and it's a surprisingly believable explanation.
1) He broke one of his own sacred rules: never have too funny men in the lead roles. Apparently Kline didn't want to play it straight, so he choose Smith to play it straight, which really doesn't make sense.
2) Apparently Kline thinks he's the greatest living Shakespearean actor, which is funny in any context, but particularly so in the context of WWW, given that it features Kenneth Branagh, who really is THE greatest living Shakespearean actor. Apparently whenever Branagh was on set, Kline would quote the Bard. "quote to come later when I can find the magazine" :laugh:
3) A sci-fi Western with a 100-foot mechanical tarantula. Come on? :rolleyes
The film does have one redeeming feature. Anyone want to hazard a guess? :D

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
[shame]You know, I caught this on TV one day when I was home sick all day and I really enjoyed it. It was sugary popcorn fare, but I didn't hate it at all.[/shame]
BTW, Kevin Kline is very well respected in theatrical circles as one of America's premier Shakespearean actors. Not that that justifies hubris...

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Selma Hayeck is living perfection. She's so gorgeous it makes me nauseous.

IMO, Kevin Klein is not a particularly good Shakespearean actor. I like him a lot in certain things (Fish Called Wanda), but I saw him do Hamlet on PBS and it wasn't pretty. I've seen so many Hamlets and his is the only one I really had a problem with. He decided to cry and wimper at everything he said. Yech.

Branaugh knows how to get it done.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Well I don't hate it, it's a baaad movie and a guilty pleasure, I spat at it the first time I saw it, than I got up and had to wipe the screen, but I've since tied myself to the settee and watched it again, foaming at the mouth trying to reach the remote, but I soon calmed down and watched it all the way thru, I could actually feel my brain cells dying while I was watching it, and by the time it ended I was making googoo noises and drooling like a vegetable.
Selma Hayek is always easy on the eyes, and how often do you get to see the heroes ride off into the sunset on a giant mechanical tarantula?
THIS POST VOTED WEST EVER

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Allow me...
Link Removed
All together now......1, 2, 3, YUM!
Peace Out~:D

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Now Paul, you know how sensitive I am about hot women, a pic like that could have killed me!! You don't just spring something like that on a guy! :D
Now excuse me while I faint dead away.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
So technically we can say that Dogma was clearly better than WWW, on a "technical" standpoint at least.
(well, totally actually, but even on the good stuff :) )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks