What's new

Wii: Inside the box! (1 Viewer)

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
finally got my wii this last weekend, played Zelda for 2 days straight. Zelda rules. This system has so much potential. I can't wait for Metroid Prime: Corruption. That's all I have to say about that.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I'm not clear on which are downloads and which are available to own on disc.
The Bold are out now.

Super Mario 64 ( 3-D platformer) Good reviews
One of the interesting aspects of the Wii is its Virtual Console service, which lets you pay to download emulated versions of old games from the 8-bit, 16-bit, and 32-bit eras. At launch, only one Nintendo 64 game was available, and it's exactly the game you expect to see. Super Mario 64, which released alongside the N64 back in 1996, was the game that defined the 3D platformer as we know it today. Sure, you'll have to babysit the camera controls, and those textures look ugly by today's standards, but all in all, this game holds up well on the Wii and is a solid version of an all-time great

Mixed to poor reviews for Mario Brothers (2-D platformer).

Super Paper Mario (3-D platformer) 1st Qtr 2007
Mario Party 8 2007
Mario Strikers Charge (football sim) TBA
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (many Nintendo characters including Mario) (3-D fighting) 2007
Super Mario Galaxy ( 3-D platformer ) TBA 2007

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

The title that you really want to be waiting for (and due out next year - actually timing predictions vary) is Super Mario Galaxy.

In my estimation that will be the next killer application for the Wii (not that most games already released aren't already quite impressive.) If you Google "Super Mario Galaxy" you'll come up with a wealth of information. Here's just a single example. Just as New Super Mario Brothers was an amazing addition to the Nintendo DS stable, Super Mario Galaxy promises to revolutionize this venerable franchise (Mario) once again on the Wii. Just check out some of the preliminary videos at some of the sites. The Wii controls promise to make it even more immersive (a term I'm using over and over again with my Wii).

Incidentally, to me the Video Console versions of Mario are really more about nostalgia than game play. There's a place, of course, for all that, but I'm betting that Super Mario Galaxy will set a new standard just as Twilight Princess does for Zelda (although I still wish that the characters in TP talked rather than it being text-based. Maybe next time?)

James Ryfun

Stunt Coordinator

Super Mario 64 and "Mario Brothers" are both virtual console games. That is, old but classic games you download to flash memory. (Stored internally in the Wii, though they can also be backed up to SD memory cards.)

The other games you list for 2007, are all new Wii games, which will be sold on disc at retail.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks