What's new

Wii-Home theater connection help? (1 Viewer)

NYRFaninBoston

Auditioning
Real Name
ben
Hi I have a brand new LG 47" LED TV, and a brand new Onkyo receiver, but an older generation of Wii. How would I hook it up to my receiver or TV? I tried plugging the AV RCA cables from the Wii to the received, but was unable to get any picture on my TV. Am I doing something wrong? My TV also does not have any RCA AV inputs, only a composite video/audio input. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I think by "AV RCA" cables you're actually referring to component video - that is, red/green/blue RCA jacks for just the video signal, along with red/white RCA jacks for stereo audio.

Chances are your Onkyo receiver does not have "analog to digital upconversion". That is a feature that will automatically convert any analog video sources connected to the receiver (including component video) to output via HDMI. This feature is usually found on mid- to upper-level models.

If you can tell us which model Onkyo you have, we can tell you for certain if this is the case.

Most likely, the best option for you would be to get an adapter like this one. This will easily convert the Wii video output to HDMI. Once you have this adapter, you can connect the HDMI output (you'll need one more HDMI cable - don't fork over lots of $$ for one) to an available input on the Onkyo and you should be all set.

You could also connect the HDMI from the adapter to your TV, but then you won't get sound from your receiver and speakers.

NYRFaninBoston

Auditioning
Real Name
ben
So the male end of that adapter goes into the Wii, and then I connect an HDMI cable from the adapter to the receiver?
The model receiver I have is the Onkyo HTS3500. the cable I have coming from the Wii has red, white and yellow prongs.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The 3500 does not have HDMI upconversion. So you have two choices. Use the "wii to HDMI" adapter(which is self-explanatory) or run the yellow to the TV and the red/white to the 3500.
You have zero other choices.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Yes - that adapter should allow you to simply run an HDMI cable between the Wii and your receiver. These are very nice HDMI cables that will work perfectly. There are other options from Monoprice - all are quality cables.

Also, just so we have terminology correct...

component video is three cables for video - red/blue/green
composite video is a single cable for video - yellow
analog audio is red/white

So I'm guessing your TV has component video input, but not composite video input.

Also, your receiver does not upconvert analog video to HDMI - so if you ever connect any non-HDMI device to that receiver, you will need to run a similar type of video cable out from the receiver to a different input on the TV.

Good luck.

NYRFaninBoston

Auditioning
Real Name
ben
Thanks to all who replied... being new to this and pretty tech. illiterate, it is most greatly appreciated. Amazon has 6' HDMI cables for $4-$5. I keep reading that there is little quality difference in HDMI cables; is that right?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by NYRFaninBoston /t/326212/wii-home-theater-connection-help#post_4016419
Thanks to all who replied... being new to this and pretty tech. illiterate, it is most greatly appreciated. Amazon has 6' HDMI cables for $4-$5. I keep reading that there is little quality difference in HDMI cables; is that right?

For the most part, yes, there is little difference.

In order to be able to handle the most demanding situations (3D video, 1080p HD etc.) you should be sure to get a cable that is labeled "high speed" but in the case of the Wii - it's only pushing a 480p standard def. signal so anything will do.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The Wii does not support HDMI, but you can purchase a component video cable (http://www.amazon.com/HD-Pro-Component-Cable-Wii-Nintendo/dp/B000M4KIME/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356130002&sr=8-1&keywords=wii+component) that has the red/white audio cables along with the red/green/blue component video cables. Using other adapters may work but personally I'd avoid them because I'd be worried about some level of picture degradation.
The Wii can only do up to 480p video and cannot do optical/HDMI audio output. The only audio you'll get is whatever comes down the red/white audio cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks