What's new

Wii and surround sound?? (1 Viewer)

sonybluray

Auditioning
Real Name
Alan Curry
Anyone able to hookup their Wii for surround sound? I have it going into my Sony Z-series 46" lcd tv - but this becomes a pain, when I switch back and forth from watching tv to play Wii - have to mute my receiver and turn up the audio on my tv...ugh.

any suggestions? I don't see any optical outputs on the Wii box...

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The Wii does not support digital surround sound. You can connect the Wii video and audio cables to your receiver, and then output a composite video cable from the receiver to your TV. If any of the games include matrixed analog surround tracks, the receiver should be able to decode and play them, and it can probably even create a pseudo-surround track from any stereo input using digital signal processing. But discrete 5.1 or 7.1 channel digial audio is simply not an option with this game system, as it is with XBox or Playstation 3.

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Ooops. I've corrected this "and then output a component video cable from the receiver to your TV" in my original post to read "and then output a composite cable..."

Sorry about that.

Joe

chris.big.money

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Walter
Maybe i'm missing something, but wouldn't you just take the two stereo audio cables and use your receiver to create the surround effect? Or at least plug them into your receiver and use stereo mode to eliminate switching on the TV. But you're definitely at a loss if you're looking for the HDMI/Optical out from the Wii.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks