1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Wiffle Ball

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by MarkHastings, Feb 2, 2006.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I just found out that the Wiffle Ball was created in CT. Since this was a MAJOR part of my childhood, I was wondering if Wiffle Ball was a national phenomenon? I can't imagine it was just a CT thing, but ya never know.

http://www.wiffle.com/

This was an interesting quote

2. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Back in 'the day' in da Bronx, we would buy the wiffle ball set (plastic bat with wiffle ball) and however many pink spaulding (spauldeens) balls we could afford. Our games were played with the wiffle ball bat and the spauldeens. We used the spauldeens because they went a lot farther then the wiffle ball, could multi-task, and not break glass. The spauldeen also looked a lot better than a wiffle ball after a hard day's play on concrete and asphalt.
    The spauldeen could be used for stoop ball, or box ball or whatever else we could think up.

3. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I would think its a national thing...but so far one CT and two upstate NYs aren't proving anything! [​IMG]

It was ALL about the wiffle ball growing up. Every once in a while we would break out the soft-ball sized plastic balls which would curve less and travel farther. But the wiffle ball is the real deal. Accept no substitutes!

4. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Played wiffle ball in Western Ohio back in the day (late 70's)

5. MarkHastings

Alright, we have confirmation! [​IMG][​IMG]

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I used to play wiffle ball growing up here in Michigan, too. I could throw a nasty sinker.

7. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

My friends and I would play wiffle ball for hours every day in the sunmer growing up. We'd wrap the yellow bat in duct tape to get some weight on it. Great times.

8. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

Who didn't have a wiffle ball at some point? I had one at one time or the other growing up in Anchorage, though it was not the prefered ball to play with (i.e. sissies who couldn't/wouldn't get hurt played with wiffle balls).

9. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

Yep, played wiffle ball too in the mid-70's as a kid in Brooklyn.

Lew, your post just cracked me up. Haven't heard spauldeens in a long long time.

Stoop ball, spauldeens..Those were good times.[​IMG]

10. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

Yep, wiffle ball here in Texas as well (I'm 28, so mid to late 80's to early 90's). Like another poster said, we would wrap the plastic bat with duct tape for extra weight.

We also played home run derby with aluminum bats and golf balls. Talk about getting some distance [​IMG]

11. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Played wiffle ball in California, Idaho, Montana, New Hampshire, New York, and Colorado. Think that about covers it. [​IMG]

12. David Brown Eyes

David Brown Eyes Second Unit

Wiffle ball on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota, Durango and Denver Colorado.

13. BrettGallman

BrettGallman Screenwriter

Mark South Carolina on the list. I used to play this as a kid. We had a teacher in middle school that adapted it for indoor play in the gym too.

14. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    Indiana, Illinois & Missouri for me...

A good friend and I actually kept STATS down on paper for a couple years [​IMG] I was the Royals and Cubs and he was the Yankees and Astros. Good times.

Not a lot of female friends during those days, now that I look back [​IMG]

15. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

We used to play daily as a kid in Rhode Island in the 70's. I don't see a lot of it here in Florida though.

16. MarkHastings

LOL - I love the comments about the tape on the ball (who didn't do that???). [​IMG]

I love that us kids would always find a way to turn harmless toys into something more dangerous. [​IMG]

17. Kevin_Spradley

Kevin_Spradley Stunt Coordinator

We played in Alabama. I am 29 so mid to late 80s. We would huge neighborhood games and we taped the ball. I think the best part was pegging people with the taped ball. You could leave a nice mark. My favorites memories are of the different items that would be used for the bases. you know things like the sewar drain, the weeping willow, 3rd fence post, etc etc.

18. Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues Supporting Actor

We played in Marion, Indiana in the early 70s. We used several types of balls. The one in the original link (is that the definitive wiffle ball?) has the holes on the sides which made the ball curve. You could throw curves, screwballs and sinkers without twisting your wrist. We used the balls without holes also. We used fence posts, drain covers, trees, etc. for bases also. We were pretty sadistic when it came to the out made by hitting the runner with the ball. If a runner was close to the person who fielded the ball, he/she usually ended up with a nice mark that stung like hell.

19. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    It was big in 70's in Philadelphia and suburbs. We didn't use the wimpy plastic bat though. We used a thin wooden bat. (The pastic bat was usually relegated to sword fights or whomping younger brothers!)

A interesting aspect I was just mentioning to my 12 year old the other day - when we wanted to play, a group of us (2-8) would just use whatever neighborhood driveway pair that had no cars. (Row homes, sets of two driveways connected.) This never seemed to be a problem that I can remember. I can't imagine what would happen these days if a bunch of kids decided to take over someone's driveway for an afternoon. Different times.

20. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Played wiffle ball in NJ growing up. Also played with the much easier and louder red "fat bat" too. [​IMG]

jay