Wife vetoed sonotube - looking for dual cube options or anything else..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Derouen, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Robert Derouen

Well after much research I had decided on building a Sonotube w/Tempest driver. I showed my wife pics of different sonotube/tempest setups and to make a long story short, she finally stated, "I refuse to have anything in my living room that looks like a water heater." I personally think water heaters sort of have a soothing effect in a room but she didn't buy that for some reason.

Since I have found no sonotube options that would be as small as an SVS Ultra and still compete with it, I'm trying to think of different options. What about using dual cube-shaped subs with Tempests or comparable drivers? Anyone have any suggestions for any designs that would fit this catagory? Any other suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Robert Derouen

2. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I doubt you'll be able to get around the SAF with a pair of tempests, or even one. You could do it with dual Shiva's, and have the same enclosure size as one Tempest, that might work.

Are you going ported or sealed?

3. Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones Second Unit

Not sure what your setup is like but you maybe interested in something similar to the sub-stands that I built a few weeks ago.
    -EJ

4. TommP

TommP Extra

I took my wife to the sonotube rack at our local supplier and asked her to pick the largest acceptable diameter for my Temepest. It will be going in our living room. She pointed to the 12", and wouldn't budge.

So, I designed a net 10 cubic ft box that will be padded on top and upholstered to become a sub-ottoman-coffee table. The venting took some finagling to vent out the bottom (to be hidden) and still fit inside the box. I had to use two 4" vents - each with a 90 degree elbow. I just started construction this weekend, but I'll let you know how it turns out.

-Tom

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Eric,

I have a similar setup with by dual SV12 subs, except they are forward firing. It was worked quite nicely and looks good too!

Brian

6. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

Have you thought about IB? If you have a basement below your theater or an attic above it then you should be able to do IB. As long as you don't mind cutting a hole in your ceiling or floor. Just do a search for IB and you should find tons of posts if your interested.

Ryan

7. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Stunt Coordinator

ryan beat me to it, but you NEED an IB. its the best SAF acceptable sub going (and they sound pretty good too [​IMG] ).
    ive got a couple links off my IB page. (link off my DIY page below.)

8. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Show her the "12 Dancing Shivaes" first, then the next one you show her should sell:b .

9. How about a sealed BPD1503 (as soon as the site is back up) or a sealed Brahma 15". With EQ and a 1kw amp, you can have some serious bass in a 17-19" cube.

10. Chris_Freeman

11. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

Robert,
    There is another approach that's been overlooked. Just how fond of the Mrs. are you??? [​IMG]

12. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

haha, ya who said you had to vetoe the sub, when you could just vetoe her??

All kidding aside, an IB design would for sure be the best ay to go if you have an attic, closet, or crawl space.

13. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Mike, after seeing the "12 Dancing Shivaes" I think most women would accept anything else for a safe compromise. Luckily I have a basement theater (as well as a separate 2ch listening room) which almost all my former girlfriends (could it be sub related?) could care less what was in it (one of them was mad when I "killed" some of her glass miniture collections running tone sweeps). I actually feel for those who have to make performance compromises to appease the other half but I understand for the sake of harmony that sometimes it's a choice of lesser of two evils (I actually own a sat setup in the bedroom because of the fact that a former girlfriend didn't like my larger bookshelf setup at a different residence so I understand compromises).

14. Robert Derouen

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I now have more angles to research. I had to throw out the suggestions of trading my wife for a sub because I'm worried that I might stub my toe at night when I roll over in bed. Subs have hard edges!

I had considered the IB thing awhile back but ended up ruling it out because I would have to go through the ceiling and attic. Maybe I should reconsider them. My main objection to IB's is the fact that since there are vents in the attic and the same base I am getting downstairs would also be in the attic. Wouldn't my neighbors have more chance of hearing it when I have my system turned up? I watch movies mostly at night and I don't want to have to worry about upsetting the neighbors. Any IB'ers out there that have attic mounted IB's, your thoughts on this are appreciated.

Thanks again for everyone's advice so far, I'll check out the links to all that suggested cubes as well.

Robert Derouen

15. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Stunt Coordinator

neighbors? what neighbors?

actually, there is suprizingly little bass outside even when the system is real loud inside.

i wouldnt worry too much about it unless you build a really big IB.

16. Will Pomeroy

Will Pomeroy Stunt Coordinator

Also if the wife were to be vetoed, you would want to make sure the get the port real smooth, and custom fitted... Flared would probably be best...
    [​IMG]
    (Sorry, I couldn't help myself)