1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Wife said "NO!" to speaker stands - now what?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron H, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

David, I know. What a deal, huh? It was actually out of the local Tampa Trib paper. They were used of course, but not a knick on them.

There's usually never anything good in there, but I guess I scored this time. I'm trying to get into woodworking and am looking for some power tools and have been watching the paper everyday. Nothing yet, but sooner or later.....

Aaron

2. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

Yeah, good score man. I guess I should start looking in the paper for stuff. Well, probably not cause I'll buy a bunch of stuff I don't need cause it was a good deal! [​IMG]

3. Nathan Cook

Nathan Cook Agent

no to all speaker stands? tell her to kiss your ass.

4. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

5. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I'm not sure I understand your wife's aversion to stands. I mean, I'm quite sure that I'm every bit as adverse to ugly stands as your wife is, but compared to putting speakers on little tables or footstools or building bookshelves or whatever other options she's encouraging (what options is she encouraging?), a very nice stand is, by far, more aesthetically pleasing and, by way far, less intrusive upon your space and decor.

Nice stands will cost you, of course. Some cost more than your speakers. But you can likely find acceptable ones for less than $300 (and, more likely, less than $200). Not only will they look great, but your speakers will really, truly sound better. Given that, has your wife indicated anything that would be acceptable to her? Because I'm fairly certain that you could find a set of stands that will be more aesthetically pleasing than any set of tables or shelves that she can suggest.

I like the glass ones, like the one Kevin posted. But I recall that those are among the most expensive. And while it wouldn't fit my decor, I know some folks purchase nice marble columns...

6. DanielN

DanielN Stunt Coordinator

Aaron, just tell her you will remember this the next time she wants new clothes, linens, jewelry, etc etc [​IMG]

7. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Do _NOT_ place these speakers on a bookshelf. For decent imaging and sound you will want your main speakers a few feet from the front wall.

8. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

on the cheaper side what about those collums that Micheals sells? I'm sure you could paint them to match the decor if required.

9. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

I'll let you trade them in on the VMPS Tower IIs we talked about.

As Ross Perot said "Problem Solved".

John
    (VMPS dealer)

10. mctague

mctague Stunt Coordinator

After showing or buying & installing (your call) the most decorator friendly stands you can find, if they still get a veto, show her how much MORE money it would cost to buy furniture-grade finished towers....which could translate into her upgrading to a matching coffee table or end table or whatever will float her boat....
    [​IMG]

11. Dave Vaughn

Dave Vaughn Stunt Coordinator

Im in a similar situation. I have towers and the wife hates them. I am thinking of going to M&K S-150's and wall mounting them, but that is pretty expensive, but it is a way that I am convincing her to get the speakers I really wanted in the first place!!! Anyone have experience wall mounting the 150's for the L & R? I can place the center in my "modified" home built entertainment center around my Sony 48" RPTV.

12. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

Just tell her the stands are part of the speakers. Tell her that the guy didn't give you the second half of the speakers and that you went out and got them.

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Can you play the SEX card? No stands, no SEX! [​IMG]

14. Robert McClanahan

Robert McClanahan Stunt Coordinator

Ah, the single life.Ain't it grand.

15. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Sonus Faber makes some really nice stands with natural wood which may look good in some rooms. They are also very well built and I think Tweeter carries them.
    [​IMG]