What's new

Wife said "NO!" to speaker stands - now what? (1 Viewer)

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
David, I know. What a deal, huh? It was actually out of the local Tampa Trib paper. They were used of course, but not a knick on them.

There's usually never anything good in there, but I guess I scored this time. I'm trying to get into woodworking and am looking for some power tools and have been watching the paper everyday. Nothing yet, but sooner or later.....

Aaron

DavidAM

Second Unit
Yeah, good score man. I guess I should start looking in the paper for stuff. Well, probably not cause I'll buy a bunch of stuff I don't need cause it was a good deal! :D

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure I understand your wife's aversion to stands. I mean, I'm quite sure that I'm every bit as adverse to ugly stands as your wife is, but compared to putting speakers on little tables or footstools or building bookshelves or whatever other options she's encouraging (what options is she encouraging?), a very nice stand is, by far, more aesthetically pleasing and, by way far, less intrusive upon your space and decor.

Nice stands will cost you, of course. Some cost more than your speakers. But you can likely find acceptable ones for less than $300 (and, more likely, less than $200). Not only will they look great, but your speakers will really, truly sound better. Given that, has your wife indicated anything that would be acceptable to her? Because I'm fairly certain that you could find a set of stands that will be more aesthetically pleasing than any set of tables or shelves that she can suggest.

I like the glass ones, like the one Kevin posted. But I recall that those are among the most expensive. And while it wouldn't fit my decor, I know some folks purchase nice marble columns...

DanielN

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron, just tell her you will remember this the next time she wants new clothes, linens, jewelry, etc etc :)

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Do _NOT_ place these speakers on a bookshelf. For decent imaging and sound you will want your main speakers a few feet from the front wall.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
on the cheaper side what about those collums that Micheals sells? I'm sure you could paint them to match the decor if required.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
I'll let you trade them in on the VMPS Tower IIs we talked about.

As Ross Perot said "Problem Solved".

John
(VMPS dealer)

mctague

Stunt Coordinator
After showing or buying & installing (your call) the most decorator friendly stands you can find, if they still get a veto, show her how much MORE money it would cost to buy furniture-grade finished towers....which could translate into her upgrading to a matching coffee table or end table or whatever will float her boat....
:)

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
Im in a similar situation. I have towers and the wife hates them. I am thinking of going to M&K S-150's and wall mounting them, but that is pretty expensive, but it is a way that I am convincing her to get the speakers I really wanted in the first place!!! Anyone have experience wall mounting the 150's for the L & R? I can place the center in my "modified" home built entertainment center around my Sony 48" RPTV.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Just tell her the stands are part of the speakers. Tell her that the guy didn't give you the second half of the speakers and that you went out and got them.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Sonus Faber makes some really nice stands with natural wood which may look good in some rooms. They are also very well built and I think Tweeter carries them.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks