Wife said "NO!" to speaker stands - now what?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron H, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

About a month ago I saw an ad in the local paper for a set of B&W's at an incredible price. I was initially looking at Paradigm Studio 40's, Polk LSi's, etc, but for $400 for a pair of 602's, a pair of 601's and a CC6, I just couldn't pass up on the deal. The guy also threw in some old, cheap black speaker stands.

When I brought everything home, basically the wife only commented on how ugly the speaker stands were, and I totally agreed. I had them set up for the past month until I took them down to the garage about a week ago.

Tonite I was thinking how I'd like to get everything set up. I have a brand new 64" widescreen, receiver, DVD and B&W speakers just sitting there, with the speakers on the floor (the TV is hooked up, but nothing else is). I bought up the idea of maybe making some speaker stands and staining them to match the wood furniture upstairs. Well, after mentioning that, I learned that "no" to the black ugly stands meant "no" to all speaker stands. I guess she doesn't like them at all.

All of this equipment is kept up in a "bonus room" upstiars.

So what do you think my other options are? Bookshelves or little tables on each side of the TV?

Thanks!
    Aaron

2. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

show her some nice speaker stands. of course, you may end up paying more for the nice stands that you did for all your speakers but hell...you got a good deal. i'm kinda partial to these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kevin t

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    No to stands huh? So where the hell does she think you are going to put them? How about you just don't give her a choice? NOBODY tells me what I can and can't have in my HT.

Take her out for a nice dinner, and get the stands.

4. Then I guess that you have to now get some FloorStanders [​IMG]

5. aaron campbell

aaron campbell Second Unit

Just buy them. What's she going to do? Spank you? I mean really, the way guys let their S.O tell them what they can, and can't do is mind boggling. My way or the highway.

6. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Thanks for the support guys. I know - I kinda thought this was my thing to do with what I wanted. I really don't know what the aversion to them is. Maybe a really nice pair will do the trick. The free ones were pretty junky.
    Now I just gotta decide what to do with the Swan Diva's 2.1's that were suppose to go downstairs. [​IMG]
    Aaron

7. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

8. Matt Schaller

Matt Schaller Auditioning

[​IMG]

9. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

Bigger Diamond...

10. Tyson

Tyson Stunt Coordinator

Forget the stands, get some tower speakers. Looks nicer anyway. . .

11. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    I would use bookcases, as you suggested at the end of your post. Unlike speaker stands, they at least have multifunctionality as a selling point. They also make you look learned if you fill them with the right types of books. [​IMG]

12. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Just get nicer stands, those cheap black ones are ugly!

Look at say Lovan, Atlantis Reference, those pictured above. There are alot of manufacturers of speaker stands, do some more research.

13. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

I could understand your wife not wanting ugly stands in your living room, but in a "bonus room upstairs", that's just going to far. I bought some really nice stands for my new rosewood Missions in our living room and got a big [​IMG] I think you have 2 options, find some nice stands that match or get David Blaine to levitate them in place[​IMG]

14. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I have to agree with all those saying to show your wife some really nice stands. I'd even show her a bunch and let her do the choosing. That way, she'd have a voice and probably really like what she'd chosen. As a second plus, you'd probably have a better stand to sonically show off those new bad boys of yours (and your wife's).

15. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Aaron,
    I know someone in the exact same situation. It was a bonus room over the garage too.
    I think his solution was pretty neat and it looks really good too.
    He built a false wall at one end of the room so the speakers and RPTV look flush mount. Hides all the gear and wires nicely too. He has a small door at the side for easy access from the rear.

16. Shannon W

Shannon W Stunt Coordinator

As for the stands I thought about mine for a good long while and ended up buying the Sanus NF Cherry Speaker stands. They look great. Check them out you and your wife might like them. Hope this helps. Shannon

17. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Maybe, grow a pair[​IMG]
    Sorry, couldn't resist. Marriage is compromise, but she is not willing to at all from the sounds of it. So, just buy some nice ones, set them up when she's not home and then surprise her. "Look how nice it looks sweetie, it's better then having the speakers sitting on the floor."
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

18. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

How exactly do you grow a pair of speaker stands? I mean......oh nevermind.

19. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Just have her hold a speaker for awhile. Maybe she'll realize that she won't want to do that for an entire movie.

20. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

Aaron, I'm more curious where in Tampa you got all those speakers for $400! Was that $400 per pair or for the whole shabang? I'm just curious cause $400 for everything is a killer deal and I want in on it! [​IMG]