wife problem... i mean speaker prob!!!!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Sheldon-m, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Sheldon-m

Sheldon-m Stunt Coordinator

I'm having a problem with my wife. She hate the the dipolar
    surrounds. I'm trying to find solution to were we both win has anybody come across this problem. She hate that they sit in the middle of the wall. I have two on the side at about 6ft from the floor. My rear is the same height but in the middle of the wall. It like the battle at helms deep(LOTR). I was thinking of covering them with those silk flowers and leaves. I don't know i need some advise. on others victories. Thx

2. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

Sheldon, I can't help you with your wife problem, but I'm interested in hearing about the quality of sound from the dipolar surrounds. Have you compared it to directional speakers? If you could do it again, would you pay the extra for the dipolars or just get normal speakers? I am upgrading my system next week and I'm trying to decide if I should go with dipolar sides and rear with tower fronts, a nice center and a new sub.

3. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

It sounds like you've made your surrounds the focal point of your room.
    She doesn't like walking into the room and the first thing that catches her eye are your speakers in the middle of the wall. What about moving them up the wall and pointing them down. With the speakers set higher only the peripheral vision will notice them when you walk into the room.
    The other option is changing the layout of the room where when you walk into the room a couch or mirror focuses the eye first.

4. Eric Eash

Eric Eash Second Unit

i've always thought about making a canvas out of white grill cloth and getting someone to paint a nice painting on it. ask her about that idea. will be a little bit more expensive than plastic flowers, but will sound alot better. or just plain white grill cloth. you could even recess the speakers and then with the grill frame, like 2' x 2', it could also serve to break up reflections. just some thoughts.

eric

5. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

How going to 5.1 as long as in the "negotiations" you get to get some HT goodie you have been wanting/NEEDING?

6. Sheldon-m

Sheldon-m Stunt Coordinator

I'm sorry Cabreau I ment bipolar not Dipolar.Sorry
    I would like to say the bipolar sound great. way better then i expected. One thing Ian- fi how close to the ceiling
    can they before they start to kill the sound? i have about three feet left to the ceiling.i think i will try putting
    the speakers at an angle.And Eric i like the idea. i try that angle too before i move them. Thx

7. Stelios

Stelios Stunt Coordinator

The only solution is changing your wife...:b
    That way you can have them anywhere you want.

Stelios

8. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

AH, if only we could audition our wives as we do our speakers [​IMG]
    maybe upgrade as well!!

9. Tim Fennell

Tim Fennell Stunt Coordinator

Eric

The problem with the canvas idea is that would block hi frequency sound. Canvas with paint would not be very acoustically transparent...

Not sure what to do with bipolar speakers - they kind of need to be in the middle of the wall to work properly right?

For similar reasons - I ended up putting my surrounds (KEF Q1.5) on their backs behind a couch. Once you get them balanced ( sound levels ) that seems to work fine.

Not the optimum solution but works well.

10. Eric Eash

Eric Eash Second Unit

tim, i didn't say to use canvas, i said to use acoustically transparent white grill cloth as a canvas, or a medium for which to paint. a good painter could paint up a nice painting with minimal paint use preserving the acoustical transparentness of the grill cloth. airbrushing would also work, and i'm sure a relaxed abstract airbrush painting could provide high WAF.

eric

11. Stelios

12. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

Possibly a model with larger cones and no voice coil?

13. Stelios

Absolutely Kevin, absolutely [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Stelios

14. shane_watson

shane_watson Stunt Coordinator

i can honestly say i would leave my wife before i would move my speakers,tell her you dont like her "home interior" hanging everywhere,my wife had those little brass umbrelia women on the wall til my svs had its way with them!!!yeah hunny its probably going to take a bigger thumbtack muuhhaamuhhhaa!

15. JoeHard

JoeHard Stunt Coordinator

When my buddy remodeled his basement he recessed his big screen into the wall. He cut a space in the drywall above the set for his center channel but he also ran into spouse trouble. He covered the hole with speaker grill type fabric and his sister-in-law drew the 3 Stooges on the fabric. Looks cool and no noticable harm to sound.

16. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

17. shane_watson

shane_watson Stunt Coordinator

you guys are so henpecked you should change your name to seed,i mean really i can understand your wifes wanting a pretty nice living area,but c,mon shes gonna have to compromise or else,its simple i win you lose,

18. Darrin W-G

Darrin W-G Extra

Does your wife do gardening? [​IMG] If so, tell her to move some flowers because you don't like the look of em. [​IMG]

Whats the worse your wife can tell you? Your sleeping on the couch tonite....

If you move your speakers won't their be nasty holes where you attached the speaker to the wall and where the speaker cable comes out? lol