Wife giving birth soon; should I get her a gift?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Timon Russo, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Timon Russo

Timon Russo Stunt Coordinator

I really suck at buying gifts. But I feel like I should do something, as this is our first child. What is a traditional gift for these situations?

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

A kiss?

I hope you're not buying a gift out of guilt. [​IMG]

I thought gifts were handed out at baby showers. Hmmm.

3. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

I did not get my wife any gift.... unless standing by her side for 5-1/2 hours of hard labor and supporting her as needed is a gift.

The best gift you can give her is to be the best husband and father you can. I doubt she could ask for much more.

Enjoy everything... that baby will change your lives for the better [​IMG]

4. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Get her a dozen red roses delivered to her hospital room. That's what I did and I think it's pretty traditional.

5. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

6. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

When we had our first child 18 months ago, I bought my wife diamond earrings. However, I'm in a higher tax bracket than most people.

Buy her something that says, "You're beautiful. Even though you're a mother now, you're still my bride."

7. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

She got pregnant by you, isn't that gift enough [​IMG]

Actually I'd buy the kid a gift. You know, the usual. If its a boy a football. If its a girl a doll of some kind.

8. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

Worship and celebrate her.

9. Stacie

Stacie Stunt Coordinator

I second Brian's suggestion. My sister-in-law is having her first child any day now (she's actually eleven days overdue). She was immensely cheered and touched when her husband gave her a lovely mother-and-child gold and diamond pendant just before her due date. She has not taken it off since.

If you think your wife would appreciate something like that, I say, go for it. I think it's a lovely idea to make a gesture acknowledging what she has been through (and will go through) to give birth to your child. Most first-time mothers are (justifiably) terrified of what labor and childbirth will entail. Anything you can do to help her through that should be appreciated.

10. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

I didn't with our first but I am going to get my wife a nice necklace for her second. I am going to get her birthstone in a larger stone flanked by both of our boys birth stones. I don't feel like I have to but she sure did go through hell and its something that will allow her to always remember.

I second the recommendation of the flowers.

KyleS

11. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

Yes, buy her a gift. She will be running the emotional gamut after the birth, and a gift will help. I got my wife two things, one was a necklace with a locket attached for a picture of your new child. You can't go wrong there.

I also bought her a ring with her birthstone, you don't have to go as far as that if you choose not too.

A son was the greatest gift I have ever gotten, and after all the work my wife did to bring him into this world, jewelry was the least I can do. [​IMG]

12. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

Oh, and flowers are a no-brainer. Do not show your face at the hospital afterward without them! [​IMG]

13. Timon Russo

So anything from nothing to diamond earrings, huh!? Seriously there is some great advice here. Thanks. I was thinking jewelry, but I can always do that for our 2nd - like KyleS - but I will check out those gift baskets as well. Or at least get her some flowers. Or a portable DVD player for the hospital.... yeah...

14. Michael Hughes

Michael Hughes Second Unit

Flowers in the hospital, flowers when you come home and at the next available milestone (your anniversary, her birthday, holiday, whatever) get her a top notch gold/silver necklace or charm bracelet with the little gold pendant with guy or girl baby on it engraved with there name and birthdate on the back, she will love it.

Congrats.

15. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I know plenty of Moms who would have loved a beer after 9 months of not being able to drink [​IMG]

16. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

How about a day at the spa. Once you're comfortable with being with the baby by yourself, she'll be able to treat herself.

17. Devin U

Devin U Second Unit

I did the spa thing for my wife. There is nothing she enjoyed more than a few hours to herself.

18. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

Just wanted to tell you congratulations. I would say any thing is better than nothing just to show you care. Flowers are small but very meaningful to women.

19. Timon Russo

Thanks everyone! The Dr. told her she is 3cm dilated yesterday. No contractions yet, but we are thinking she might not make it to the 21st (her official due-date). I'm getting kind of nervous.[​IMG]

20. Mark Schermerhorn

Mark Schermerhorn Second Unit

Good luck Timon [​IMG] My birthday is the 21st. I think I was due on the 19th, however [​IMG]