Wife gives the ok for BIG SCREEN!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Thomas, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

Where should I start looking? I'm thinking 55" to 65" at $2500 to $3000.

2. JimmyD

JimmyD Auditioning

Gary,
    I recently purchased a SharpVision 55RWP5H and am very happy with it. They offer both a 55" and 61" version and the price is in your range. FYI, SharpVision is to Sharp as Pioneer Elite is to Pioneer, the SharpVision is a higher end version of the Sharp products. Though the price difference between Pioneer and Elite is >$1500 the price difference between Sharp and Sharpvision is only about $500. The Sharp version of the rptv looks exactly the same (except for the name plate) and the model number is 55RWP4H. The 4H is what is sold at Best Buy, only SharpVision dealers can sell the 5H models.
    I should warn you that there are some people who have listed problems with the Sharps and if you want to read them go to:
    http://www.hometheaterspot.com/ubb/u...&f=64&t=000029
    In the interest of saving time and bytes I won't go on but if you're interested in learning more reply back to me and I'll give you more info. I'll wait until after my dealer comes back this week to fine tune the rptv now that the guns have had a week of use.
    James

3. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

Just made an impluse buy yesterday! I stopped in a local Hi-End HT store & bought a demo model Pioneer Elite 610 for $4400 delivered. It has six months of light use..they don't turn their tv's on unless a customer wants to view one. It's also been ISF calibrated.

From what I read, I think I got a pretty good deal.

4. Matt Heebner

Matt Heebner Stunt Coordinator

I will chime in with a suggestion to look at a Mitsubishi 55" widescreen. Its right in your price range, and the picture can be made to look absolutly stunning for DVD's and HD. There is a wealth of information on tweaks and general information at The Hometheater Spot.
    I've owned my Mits 55" for about 7 months now, and I love it like its my 3rd child! With some simple tweaks, and a few trips through the AVIA calibration disk, the picture never fails to amaze me ofr friends. If you are out looking, try and find one at a higher end dealer to let you check them out. Chances are that they will have the settings not maxed out (like you will find at Sears or somewhere similiar) and will have it hooked to HD.
    Have Fun
    Matt

5. Grady Hollums

Grady Hollums Second Unit

I have the Toshiba 50HX81 (50") Man, I LOVE it!! I am still wanting to buy the HDTV Signal and dish, but it really is the best thing I have ever seen.

I would suggest to go to Hometheaterspot.com and go into all the different makers of HDTVs and read everyhting that other people have to say and make your decidion on what TVs to check out in person and make the best decision for your HT and home.

6. Jeff_Johnson

Jeff_Johnson Auditioning

All the above suggestions are great but what's REALLY important is how you got the ok from the wife.

Mits 65" owner with tweaks ala Matt, stunning picture.

7. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

Jeff: The main problem had always been my wife's attachement to our entertainment center. Once she started thinking about re-decorating, our 36" picture shrank!

We were watching the orig. Star Trek w/ the kids Friday night & she commented that the widescreen picture looks so small! I bought the Pioneer Elite 610 less than 24 hours later!