What's new

Wife gives me the ok to get a big screen and I am not sure I want to buy one? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Rice

Agent
Hello all,

My wife gives me the ok to get a big screen (65") and I am not sure I want to buy one? I feel like it is a waste to buy a big screen because:

1. not much HDTV programming (I know there will be in the very near future)
2. not sure what model to pick (Toshiba, Mits, Hitachi, Sony)
3. cannot get Direct TV yet because I am currently finishing my basement and money is an issue, but I can get a big screen.

All the brands have their quirks and I know:
Toshiba--has the best stretch modes.
Mits--many options on the TV
Hitachi--best DVD and HDTV viewing (bad stretch mode)
Sony--have not anything good about them.

I need help from you and what model would you get if your wife (or significant other) gave you the ok?

Jeff

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
If you watch DVDs, a new widescreen RPTV will enhance your enjoyment enormously! As high-def comes along, your set will reward you with added value.
I like Tosh, but everybody has his/her own favorite and there are lots of good sets.
If you decide not to buy a 65" set right now, get that "okay" from the wife in writing.
Jan

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
If this is going into a dedicated basement theater then why not get a projector, something like the Sony VPL-HS10 or Sanyo PLV-Z1?

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Interesting post. If I understand it correctly your WIFE wants the TV and you don't.

You've written down why you don't want one, now lets hear why you do. (or your wife)

How did the subject come up? A really really big TV is nice, but it is not for everyone. Just because you can does not mean you should. Maybe if you shared why you were thinking about it someone could give you more constructive help.

Good luck w your basement!

Marvin E

Stunt Coordinator
If this is going into a dedicated basement theater then why not get a projector, something like the Sony VPL-HS10 or Sanyo PLV-Z1?
I am in the same position. I am waiting to hear from a local
retailer who says she will give me an in home demo of the Sanyo PLV-Z1 when she gets them in! I looked at several HTDVs; however, when I consider what it would cost for a projector and a 92 inch diagonal screen, the Sanyo looks awfully good.

Marvin E

Jeff_Rice

Agent
Thanks for responding everybody,

Do not get me wrong I really want a big screen TV but here are the reasons why I do not think it is worth buying a new big screen:

Cons

1. New component cables
2. Progressive scan DVD player
3. Sat (Direct TV or DBS)
4. new component rack
5. HDTV is not there yet
6. Burn in problems
7. All three major brands (Tosh,Hit,Mits,Sony) still have problems with normal cable brodcast.

Pros

1. DVD viewing
2. HDTV material (when available and the correct feed)

That's all I can think of right now.

The wife said we can get a big screen next year because we will be saving more for a better one. Sony VPL-HS10 or Sanyo PLV-Z1, how much do these cost?

Jeff

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I personally have a projector and am very happy. It is less $, less space and larger screen than their boxed counterparts. The only drawback is ambient light. For me it's no prob as I am only home at night.
Of course, as with most things, you can spend as much as you like on a projector and break the bank. But you don't have to to get a great picture.
Here is a link to help you shop for projectors: https://www.projectorcentral.com/
They write useful reviews. They also have a great projector search thingy (tech talk) at
https://www.projectorcentral.com/projector_search.cfm
I also would recommend using their 'get bids' feature.
I used it to buy a NEC LT260 for $2999 with no tax or shipping (lists for $3500 most places)
Good luck!

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
7. All three major brands (Tosh,Hit,Mits,Sony) still have problems with normal cable brodcast.
Any time you feed a crummy, low resolution signal and blow it up, you're going to have picture anomolies. That said, good calibration and convergence will go far. Either I've grown to ignore the artificats or my cable picture has improved significantly through tweaking.

David M LaRocca

Auditioning
I just bought the Sanyo PLV-Z1 and I paid $1,425. I was thinking about getting a RPTV but when I found out I can get 100" for half the cost I quickly jumped on the projector band wagon.

Carl Mulder

Stunt Coordinator
You should take a look at Samsungs DLP hlm seies, theres a 61 inch model you should take a look at, looks very impressive.
DVD player = I think you should take a look at Denons new 2900, I think that you will be more than happy with this dvd player, out in may.

Phil L

Supporting Actor
>Is this the general consensus Sony HDTV's (including >CRT)?

I'd consider the sony the best RPTV available except for the Pioneer. The only issue with sonys right now is flicker which shouldn't be an issue with new TVs. Sonys can do 480p native, have good stretch modes, and are extremely tweakable.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I'll second the Sony recommendation. I've had a KP57HW40 since September of 01 with no flicker (but mine's an early production model with different serial number prefix than the effected sets).

It has a great line-doubler, excellent stretch modes, and was easily tweaked to eliminate all red push and turn off SVM.

I feel the anamorphic progressive scan dvd performance alone was well worth the purchase. Though I do have an HD stb and get 5 HD channels off DirecTV and locally, and the pq is amazing, 480p dvd is quite close.

Although a progressive scan player isn't a must-have initially due to the set's line doubler, the prices on progressive scan players are so low that one could easily get one for half the difference in price between a 65" set and a 57" model.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
go for a digital projector since you are putting this in the basement and light will not be an issue...

it will be more manageable,
probably a better picture
definitely a larger picture...

and with may projectors, their deinterlacers are just as good as the sub 1000 dvd players...

there are lots to choose from...and they are getting cheaper all the time.

Rich

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
No one has even mentioned THE BEST HD RPTV on the market.....PIONEER ELITE!!

When we switched from our 40" direct view Mits to our 58" PRO-620HD, we gave up nothing in picture quality for standard cable broadcast. And the HD and DVD inputs have been ISF calibrated by Gregg Loewen....need I say more!!

TimG

Second Unit
Only get a projector if you don't plan on using it for everyday viewing. Personally I wouldn't want to buy replacement bulbs if you are going to use this as a primary tv. If you are using it for movies then I wholeheartedly agree with a front projector, nothing beats a "large" screen movie.

TimG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks