What's new

Wife acceptance of your SVS! (1 Viewer)

Greg Br

Second Unit
The title suggests negativity but this is a positive story. I have had my SVS dual 20-39cs w/ new driver for about a week. I only am using my old Sony receiver to power them(damn budget's), but they pur like a kitten. I believe that I am reaching or just a notch below reference, so they are making ME very happy :D
But what about the Wife? The first thing she said when she saw them set up out of the boxes was wow they are so big, I told this is yet another case where size does matter, her next comment was did you have to get two. We watched a very tame movie on Tuesday, Proof of Life, and she was impressed. We were watching Fight Club last night and unfortunately my Sony shut off after three quarters of the movie, and man does that movie have some bass. My wife's comment to me was, its bedtime, the only reason I was watching that terrible movie was to listen to the surround system and the bass:) :) . I was shocked. Her next comment was I guess you are going to need a amp sooner than you expected(That sounds like a go ahead to me doesn't it).
Today she calls me while I was golfing and says how do I turn the subs on, again I am in disbelief. I pull into the garage and I did not even open the door and I could here the stereo rocking away. She says come and listen to this track and that track, I was just in shock, I mean I had to do one of my best sales jobs just to get these subs and system. All I can say is SVS has made my home theater complete, well till I get those Paradigm Mains, the Sunfire 5 channel amp, etc. etc....
Greg

Keith M.

Second Unit
No offense, but no matter how good they perform, they will never be a part of my theater.

In my opinion, they are way too ugly, amateurish/hobby kit looking, water heaters...

John Doran

Screenwriter
No offense, but no matter how good they perform, they will never be a part of my theater.

In my opinion, they are way too ugly, amateurish/hobby kit looking, water heaters...
wow. you've got stones, keith.

you have just drenched yourself in blood, and leapt into the lion's den.

i salute you for your candor.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I just want to point out that the above poster named Keith M. is not me, nor is he in anyway related to me. Personnaly I love the subs and will have some one day. Hopefully that day will be about 6 months from now when I get my house. Fortunately I'm single so I'm not worried about WAF. My plan is to have my toys before I get married so the woman understands its a package deal. Does that actually work or am I just fooling myself?

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Keith,

Have you seen one in person? If so disregard what I'm about to say. I wasn't too sure I would like the looks of them either. But the pictures online do not do them justice. I got the chance to see and hear one this past weekend. The sound was everything I had come to expect from the glowing reviews and the looks are actually quite classy. The model was a 20-39cs and it wasn't anything like a water heater. It was shorter, not as wide and the fabric cover was very nice.

Of course I respect your decision 100%. Just wanted to say that in person they look much better than online. And the sound was very impressive as well.

Dan Hine

John Doran

Screenwriter
My plan is to have my toys before I get married so the woman understands its a package deal. Does that actually work or am I just fooling myself?
whether it works depends on the woman. among other things.

my wife surprised me by buying as much of a home theater as we could afford at the time (mains, receiver, dvd player), and having it delivered and set up before i got home from work. just because she knows (but doesn't really understand) how much i love it.

i keep leaving lists of the other components i want lying around, as well as showing it to her on the internet...

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Greg,
Wow! That's something else! If you come home and your wife meets you at the door in lingerie then I know none of this is true and you're merely dreaming!:) I was just as shocked when I told my wife I was going to build a huge 18" sub and power it with a Crown K2! I was shocked because she didn't even flinch!
BTW, look out for her possibly watching Howard Stern's movie over and over again!;) You know what scene I'm talking about!
(Greg comes home and finds one of his subs lying on the floor and his wife straddling it!)
Brian

Dean_M

Second Unit
I haven't ordered mine yet, but I've been worried about the WAF myself. I sent her the URL for SVS's site at work this morning after I told her about the price tag.
Her response... "That looks cool!"
Now if I could only talk her into letting me have two of them. :D
Dean

JohnnyHK

Stunt Coordinator
Dean,
You've got to start out talking about getting four, and then you can comprimise with her and only get two.
:)

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
I have seen them in person, and I agree with Keith M. I love sound of my friend's 20-39 PC. It's a great performer for the price. But I wouldn't have one in my house. I's obviously just a matter of taste. I know SVS is among the "sacred" products around here, but people should be allowed to state their honest opinions.

Jah-Wren Ryel

Stunt Coordinator
I disagree - you know what they say about opinions and certain body parts - everybody's got one and nobody wants to hear it. Now, on the other hand, reasons for those opinions, that come from well thought out consideration, are good things to hear.

Steve Zimmerman

Second Unit
Hey I think if you don't like the looks of the SVS then that's fine. I'd like to know what your other speakers look like. Not Wilsons or DT or anything else big and black I guess.

--Steve

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>No offense, but no matter how good they perform, they will never be a part of my theater.
In my opinion, they are way too ugly, amateurish/hobby kit looking, water heaters

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
We were watching Fight Club last night and unfortunately my Sony shut off after three quarters of the movie, and man does that movie have some bass. My wife's comment to me was, its bedtime, the only reason I was watching that terrible movie was to listen to the surround system and the bass
Fight Club a terrible movie??? Not only is it a GREAT movie, but it's great reference material for any HT or subwoofer shootout. What are you talking about man?!?!
SVS for me all the way in '03!!! Upgrading other parts of my HT first unfortunately. Can't wait.;)

Greg Br

Second Unit
So you are saying that some huge box cube that take up 10sf is attractive looking? I do not get into the looks of my home theater, just the sound, and I think mine looks great by the way. It must be a power thing, cause to me it just screams out that I am a ass kicking piece of equiptment. Also what other options are there for $850 at 110db at 20hz? If you know I wish I had seen it earliar so I could have demoed that sub.

Remember what is one mans trash is another mans Picasso!

Greg Br

Second Unit
Maybe this should be another thread but the movie did little for me:thumbsdown:. It was obvious that Ed Norten was playing a split personality(he does it in half of his flicks)
, I just did not get into the plot all that much. You are right though, it is great demo material, the opening music is very gripping, and the plane scene was epic, I actually thought about turning it down at that point but I said what the heck. This is the second best movie I have scene for bass,(next to Das Boot:emoji_thumbsup: ), but I have only had the SVS for a week, these are the films I have watched in the past week
Das Boot, U-571, Days of Thunder, Top Gun, Proof of Life, Pearl Harbour and Fight Club, next up tomorrow is Jurassic Park
I figure if the neighbors have not shot me yet then they must have come to some form of acceptance.

Users who are viewing this thread