What's new

wiering 14g in wall 12g out (1 Viewer)

Brian tj

Stunt Coordinator
The question is if I have 14g in the wall and I run 4ft 12g out side. Will I have a drop when the sound/current hits the 12g?:frowning: You see I had to move my surround speakers.
I think the 12g will look cool, but can I do more harm than good.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
No problem. You are not pushing anywhere near the type of power that the change in gauge would cause problems.

In truth, its better to have the thicker wire for the longer in-wall runs rather than the thinner 14 ga, but work with what you have.

Brian tj

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Bob
The truth is I am sorry :frowning: I did not run 12g in the walls had a hard time finding ul approved 14g and now to add to the insult the hole thing has snowballed. The start was going to be a 2000.00 system. Now I am going with B&K ref50 and 200.7 amp with Joseph audio speakers!:D :D The 14g is a little small hope it works I have to runs close to 50ft.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind: for a HT system, the rear speakers are only active ... 20% of the time (depending upon the movie). They mainly contain softer echos of the front sounds, or special effects. They dont carry critical sounds like dialog or soundtracks, or at least, not without the front speakers producing similar sounds.

So the tone shift caused by the 14 ga wire is really not going to matter. If you were setting up a 5.1 audio system with some fairly accurate speakers, then I'd consider re-wireing with 12 ga. But for movies, just sit back and enjoy.

Make sure you use a SPL meter to level-adjust the rears to match the fronts. This compensates for lots of issues.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I forget what maximum amp to speaker distance is recommended for 14 gauge wire but ... If the length of 14 gauge wire in the complete circuit is within that range, then you won't notice any degradation.

If not too much power is being sent down the lines which means if the volume is not too high, or if the amp expects and you use 8 ohm speakers rather than 4, then you can get away with longer 14 gauge wires.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Brian tj

Stunt Coordinator
Thank Allen

Yes 14g all the way. I have 200w amp Joseph audio RM7si surrounds 150w at 8 ohms. Longest run 50 ft. I think I will be fine:frowning: well lets say I hope. I feel I am at the edge.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks