Wierd plumbing issue...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Dave Poehlman, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Okay.. I have a pretty new house... 2 years old or so.

In my master bath, I have 2 sinks. Last year I replaced the cheap "came-with-the-house" faucets with something a little more stylish.

All was well, up to a couple weeks ago:

I've noticed from one of the faucets (mine) the water smells (and tastes) "musty" when it's initially turned on. If I let it run for a while, it goes away.

Now here's the puzzler.. my wife's sink 3 feet away is fine. Now, admittedly her's does get a little more use, but not enough to warrant such a difference, IMO.

I have all-PVC plumbing throughout my house and have city water, BTW.

I'm wondering if there's a small leak somewhere in the pipe running to my faucet that's causing air to get trapped someplace and get funky, but I haven't noticed any signs of leaks.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I doubt it's a leak, that should be pretty obvious if it were the case. Water under pressure has ahabit of escaping when it can.

How is the water supply connected? Do the two sinks tap off the same line, or does each run to a central location?

The first thing I would check is the aerator on the faucet (which is right where the water exits), just unscrew it and see if there is any gook in there. Smells and must sound like algie or mould, but that shouldn't occur unless the lines are transluscent and exposed to sunlight.

Are you sure it is the tap causing the problem, and that the smell isn't coming from the drain line or venting?

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I'm sure it's the tap and not the drain.

I'm guessing they're tapped off the same line... I'll double check. It's kind of difficult, since they're on the second floor, where the pipes are coming from.

As I wrote this thread, I began believing that it may be something inside the faucet also. It started a few weeks ago roughly when we had a surge in "Japenese lady beetles"... and those things are stinky! I'm wondering if one is stuck in there... although, I can't imagine how they could get inside the faucet.

Blech!

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I'd check that aerator first, if anything did get into the water line, that is where it should end up. If that is clean, then disassembling the tap would be the next move. Flush all that out and see if the problem recurs.

5. Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski Supporting Actor

Since your house is two years old, the chances are very good that both faucets run off the same line, probably splitting in the wall somewhere between the two faucets. That is generally how they do double vanities.

6. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    I absolutely can't imagine what it is, other than your imagination. [​IMG]

I would probably unscrew the aerator and run hot water at full speed for a minute. Like was said, maybe something is stuck in the aerator.