wierd DVD resolution problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Dobbs, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
    I'm a widescreen freak, but I seem to have a problem when playing full frame material on my PC. When I play Full Frame material on my DVD player, my DVD software squeezes the source material from it's native 720 x 480 resolution to 720 x 540. When I play the DVD full screen, it squeezes the picture and completely takes up my computer screen because it makes a perfect 4:3 aspect ratio (720 x 540 = 4:3). My question is WHY?
    Here are example screenshots.
    Right - http://userpages.umbc.edu/~bdobbs1/right.jpg
    Wrong - http://userpages.umbc.edu/~bdobbs1/wrong.jpg
    I'd like to add that I have Power DVD v2.55 and WinDVD v4.0. This problem only happens when playing a DVD through the WinDVD software. When playing a DVD full screen through the Power DVD software, there are small black bars at the top and bottom, since it is not squeezing the 720 x 480 image.

2. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
  3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

There is usually an aspect ratio setting in each playback software- and usually has a checkbox for maintaining aspect ratio or something along those lines.

-Vince

4. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
    See that's the weird thing, according to the software the aspect ratio is maintained.

5. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Not sure what you mean. DVD pixels are not square, but the ones on your computer are. 720x480 is not 4:3 with square pixels (it's not 16:9 either), so the image must be resized.

Looking at those screenshots, it looks like the knobs are more circular (instead of oval) in the "wrong" one, indicating that it is correct; but maybe they're supposed to be that way?

//Ken