What's new

Wie kochen Sie Rotkohl? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I've finally found something that the local grocery stores don't carry....Rotkohl, auf English red cabbage sweet saurkraut. This stuff is so great with sausages and potato salad.

I've googled rotkohl recipes and gotten thousands of hits. It seems every recipe is a different variation.

Does anyone have a favorite?

Another question: my German cookbook includes as ingredients minced apples and red current jelly/preserves. Do you think I could cheat and substitute applesauce and red raspberry preserves?

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Sorry I don't have a recipe but I buy it by the jar at Fred Meyer which I'm pretty sure you have in Boise. Worth a look if you're lazy like me.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I was in Freddies yesterday. They did offer a very small jar "imported from Germany" for $7. That's too much lettuce for cabbage.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
I know my mother has made a very nice relish from time to time which is mostly chopped red cabbage & applesauce, the applesauce being a substitution for minced apples called for in the recipe. Not quite the same thing, but I can't see any problem with the idea. As far as raspberries versus currants, though, they are very different. The good news is that red currant jam is pretty easily available in the US if you look for it. I would suggest trying that first & then moving on to modified versions, so you can get a handle on what changes have what effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks