WideScreen??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BobHaymond, Feb 21, 2002.

1. BobHaymond

BobHaymond Stunt Coordinator

When DVD's are listed as widescreen 2.35:1 and also as 16x9, does this mean that two formats are on the same disk? I notice that some are listed as 2.35:1, 16x9 yes and some are listed as 2.35:1, 16x9 No;can someone explain this to me? I am getting a Sony36XBR(16x9). How will differing widescreens show up on it? How will 4:3 show up?
    I presume I'll know in due course -=- TV and DVD are being shipped and at present I don't have any DVD's.[​IMG]

2. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Ok. The number is listing the aspect ratio of the movie. The 16:9 YES and NO are referring to whether or not the DVD is enhanced for widescreen displays. This will often be noted as anamorphic widescreen as well. I am not familiar with your set, but it sounds as though it will take advantage of anamorphic discs (16:9 YES). Non-anamorphic (16:9 NO) discs are not enhanced for widescreen sets or 4:3 sets that can produce an anamorphic 16:9 image.

So what does this all mean. Simply put - anamorphic discs should always look superior to non-anamorphic discs when diplayed on a 16:9 capable TV. Many forum members here simply do not purchase non-anamorphic discs as a boycott to the studios that do not support DVD in its truest form.

C. Ryan

3. Rod Melotte

Rod Melotte Stunt Coordinator

And to add to the point. Even if you do not have a widescreen display, a 16x9 disc will look better no matter what. There is some carry over.

As for the boycott. Well, that's just silly in my eyes and I doubt the industry has even noticed. All they are doing is missing some good movies. The industry is still young and I'm sure once the bottom line is actually found every movie will be 16x9.

just my opinion.

4. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Well, most will actually complain of downconverting artifacts when viewing a 16:9 enhanced movie on a 4:3 only display. I know of no technical reason why an anamorphic DVD would look better on a regular set. When a player is downconverting and taking out every fourth line or combining the third and fourth, I do not see how there could be any "carry-over." This will often produce an overly harsh or soft image.

There is not much talk of boycotting non-anamorphic DVD's anymore because most are presented that way. The studios obviously DID notice as I truely beleive the earlier adopters helped push the studios along with their wallets. I no longer have to make a purchasing decision based on the existance of an anamorphic transfer because almost all new releases have them. It was often a deciding factor for me with titles that were not must-haves. However, I still have a few non-anamorphic titles that I absolutely could not wait for a re-release.

C. Ryan

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

6. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

8. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

When the DVD label says 2.35 aspect ratio enhanced for 16:9 that means the movie was shot for and supposed to be shown in the theaters as 2.35:1, meanwhile when you play the DVD the picture including any prerecorded black bar letterbox material should be stretched to a 16:9 shape for everything to look right (or set the DVD player to 4:3 mode).
    The above description refers to only one version on the disk.
    What they do not say is whether some of the sides of the movie frame were still cropped off or whether there was a little extra material above and below available and exposed (open matte) to make it fit the 16:9 shape "a little better".
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm