What's new

Widescreen zoom adjustment? Still cuts off letterbox stuff... (1 Viewer)

Chuck Paskovics

Stunt Coordinator
I'm new to the widescreen 16:9 world and was excited to finally be able to zoom my favorite letterbox shows. The first one I tried was 'Angel' and was suprised to notice that when I zoom It still cuts off more than the letterbox, it cuts off some of the picture too. Not much, but it is noticeable. Is this normal with widescreen shows? I thought they were made to fit 16:9 standard? I've not tried it with other shows like stargate or enterprise. Does it cut them all off normally or is it my TV? I have a panny 47 inch (newer 42 model). Is there a way to adjust the zoom amount? I thought maybe it's overzooming it or something.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Probably overscan. Use the HSIZ (width) control, generally in a service menu or a screwdriver adjustment in the rear, also use the VSIZ (height) control if needed to get proportions right.

It is possible that the TV can't remember the overscan settings for all modes: zoom, full screen, and sidebar 4:3 mode so what you found may have been a compromise setting done at the factory.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks