Widescreen Xbox gaming questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ricky Hustle, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

I have the Panasonic Tau CT-34WX50. I have my Xbox set to widescreen mode, and it is connected to my TV via the component inputs. So far I have played all games that do not support widescreen in stretch mode and they look great, so I never bothered changing the TV to normal aspect ratio (4:3). I have games like HALO, PGR, SSX, & Munch's Oddyssey.

So yesterday I boot up NFL Fever and it doesnt look too great stretched out and I tried to change the TV back to 4:3. The aspect ratio would only switch between FULL and ZOOM modes. I consulted the hardware manual for the television and learned that when a 1080i or 480p signal is detected thru the component inputs, I could only switch between the ZOOM and FULL modes. Hmmm.

So... I start thinking that maybe its not worth it to use component inputs (High Definition AV Pack) and switch over to S-Video (Advanced AV Pack). Will I suffer much video quality loss? Is it worth it?

2. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Are there games that are actually designed to run in widescreen? I have a plain old 4:3 32" JVC-would I be missing anything by not setting the box to WS output?

3. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

Yes, a few run in widescreen.

SSX, Madden ,Nascar Thunder & some others. You are better off leaving the setting where it is for a 4:3 set.