Widescreen WONKA up for pre-order at DVD Empire

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Douglas Bailey, Sep 21, 2001.

1. Douglas Bailey

Douglas Bailey Second Unit

Douglas Bailey
    For all those who've been waiting, the widescreen edition of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is now available for pre-order at DVD Empire .
    I'm sure other retailers have this up, too: Empire just happens to be my vendor of choice.
    doug
    ------------------
    "How can it be the same movie if they've changed my character from a
    tightly-wound convenience-store clerk to a jittery Eskimo
    firefighter?... uh huh... uh huh... uh huh. Well, that's actually a
    pretty good explanation..."
    --James Woods, on The Simpsons

2. BrianP

BrianP Supporting Actor

I think most stores are either not informed of its release, or keeping a low profile on the widescreen version since the other is selling well. It still is not available for preorder at Amazon, as well as most other stores I have checked.
    ------------------
    My Movie Collection on DVD and Laser Disc

3. Polo Chavez

Polo Chavez Auditioning

I did not know that the standard version was selling well. Hmmm, hopefully this still won't hurt the sales of the widescreen release.

4. Dave H

Dave H Producer

The full screen edition is going to hurt sales of the widescreen to some degree. Only the hometheater buffs really know of the widescreen release coming in Nov.
    I was at Wallmart with my sister a few weeks ago and she grabbed the Wonka DVD and was about to but it - I told her to wait for the widescreen version - she said "yeah, widescreen is better" then put it down. However, she WOULD HAVE bought the fullscreen if it weren't for me. She was un-informed and doesn't frequent online DVD sites (which are virtually the only way know of the upcoming release). Just think how many people out there are like my sister.
    I do hope Warner considers this when evaluating widescreen sales and doesn't come to a faulty conclusion of the sales.
    [Edited last by Dave H on September 21, 2001 at 01:50 PM]

5. Lee Bombard

Lee Bombard Stunt Coordinator

Lee
    Quote:
    I do hope Warner considers this when evaluating widescreen sales and doesn't come to a faulty conclusion of the sales.
    It was Warners Faulty Conclusion that caused them to release only a full screen version in the first place. [​IMG]
    Regards,
    Lee

6. Wes Ray

Wes Ray Supporting Actor

I plan on holding off until the widescreen version is released in November. What Warner Bros. did on Willy Wonka isn't that much different than what Paramount is considering doing with next year's DVD release of Friday the 13th Part VII.
    Why won't studios do things right the first time around? They won't get nearly as much bad PR if they did.
    ------------------
    Horror AND non-horror fans unite!
    [​IMG]

7. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus