Widescreen viewing area

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by PeteSH, Jan 8, 2006.

1. PeteSH

PeteSH Auditioning

Greetings everyone.

As Mr Garrison in South Park said "There are no dumb questions just dumb people." I must be one of these individuals.

I just purchased a 17" lcd 16:9 with a built in dvd player for the bed room. When I play a dvd that is recorded in the 'widescreen' format, the picture still has the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. (ie, it does not fill the entire screen) Is this normal.

From reading information on line, I am guessing that movies are filmed in aspect ratios greater than 16:9 and that is the reason why the bars still appear even on a widescreen set. Am I wrong? Or is there some setting on the tv or dvd itself the can be adjusted.

Cheers

2. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

The black bars are your friend. They help maintain the Original Aspect Ratio of the film as intended by its makers.

This thread is full of helpful information on the black bars and other home theatre subjects.

3. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Correct. The 16:9 is a compromise size for the physical screen for the many aspect ratios actually used.

4. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

No you are correct. Alot of popular movies are filmed in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.

On 1.85 material you likely will not see black bars. If you do they will be nearly unnoticable.

5. John S

John S Producer

Just to add a little. Typically any movie from 1.66:1 to 1.85:1 will fill the 16:9 HDTV Widescreen.

Any others will have bars somewhere to maintain Original Aspect Ratio.

This is a general rule, and anything that is not 1.78:1 on any given display may also have thin black bars so to speak.