What's new

Widescreen TV's (1 Viewer)

I plan on getting a new TV soon. I don't know whether to stick with 4:3 or not. Is widescreen worth it? And will the picture be distorted much when watching a regular TV broadcast on widescreen?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
All widescreen TVs have a mode which allows you to format 4:3 broadcasts with unused space on the sides, preventing any distortion at all. This would be the "proper" way to watch 4:3 formatted material-- sets also offer various methods of stretching and zooming to reformat the picture.

I think 16x9 is the only way to go, personally, but I guess it is a question of what your viewing habits are and will be.

PaulSmith

Auditioning
Another thing to keep in mind. If you take a 53" 4:3 ratio TV and make 16:9 with the black bars, the TV becomes a 48" letter box. Not a terrible loss.
A 53" 16:9 ratio TV becomes a 45" 4:3 ratio TV with the black bars. A slightly bigger loss.
It was these calculations (plus the cost difference between the the two) that made me go with the 53" 4:3 TV.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator
It depends upon what you'll be watching. Since I upgraded to HDTV I find that I rarely watch regular TV anymore. I spend most of my time watching the HDTV movie channels (most shows are 16:9) or watching DVD's (most of which are widescreen these days).

I think Paul did his measurements using 16:9 material. That isn't very accurate with DVD's since most of the big pictures are released in 2.3 or 2.4:1. Those movies look MUCH better on the 16:9 set than on a 4:3.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Another thing to consider is that HDTV is broadcast in 16:9 format. While you may not have it in your market yet, you should soon and should strongly consider the 16:9. I recently bought a widescreen RPTV and have not regretted it a bit. Also, if you watch regular 4:3 in the standard 16:9 format, it streches everything across the screen evenly. You get used to it after awhile but I do find that I rarely just sit down to watch TV, pretty much movies.

DanaA

Screenwriter
To me, 16:9 is the way to go. I don't watch an enormous amount of broadcast TV, but rather usually use my TV for DVD. I can't really imagine the benefit of 4:3 in that circumstance.

Jack Keck

Second Unit
DanaA,

About half of my DVD collection is the set of Monty Python tv shows, which don't play in widescreen. I will perobably collect more old tv shows than movies, but I still can see to point of widescreen tv. I woiuldn't wantto watch a movie any other way.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Oops, I didn't even consider TV shows on DVD. I have to look into that. There're an awful lot of old TV shows that I'm fond of, but, to my recollection, the only DVD we have of one is of the old Maverick and I still haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks