What's new

Widescreen TVs (1 Viewer)

John_St

Auditioning
I'm thinking of buying a widescreen TV, but I have a question.

What do programs and films that aren't in widescreen, look like on a wide screen TV?

Are they stretched to fill the screen?

Are they just boxed in the middle?

JOhn

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
John,

widescreen sets all have several ways of displaying a 4/3 picture.

1--display the picture in the center with gray bars on the side to prevent burn in.

2--Apply a uniform horizontal-only stretch. This is known as Full mode and is the one you want to use for anamorphic widescreen dvds.

The uniform stretch for 4/3 makes everything look short and fat.

3--Zoom the picture both horizontally and vertically so it fills the screen side to side, but picture is lost at the top and bottom of the screen. Sets will scroll the picture vertically in this mode to make sports scores or CNN crawls visible.

4--Apply a variable stretch to the 4/3 image--stretches more at the sides than in the center, so faces in the center look pretty much normal. The better implementations of this mode do a slight vertical zoom also, so there doesn't need to be as noticeable a stretch on the sides. Toshiba and newer Sony widescreens do a very good variable stretch, Mits and Hitachis are not as good.

Steve Sz

Agent
John_St I live about 30 miles from you. If you are interested you are welcome to come to my house for a show and tell on my HD 4:3 set and a little education.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks