Widescreen TVs - Optical Illusion?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alfred Seet, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Alfred Seet

Alfred Seet Auditioning

I recently compared "The Royal Tenebaums" DVD on both a 26" widescreen as well as on a 34" 4:3 TV. The movie aspect ratio is 2:40, and I measured the vertical height of the picture on both sets. The height on the 4:3 tv was 11.5" and height on the 16:9 tv was 10".

Even so, the picture just "felt" bigger on the widescreen TV. I can't explain it, other than to theorize that it is an optical illusion. The size of the black bars on the 4:3 set were so large they seemed to make the picture look smaller than it actually was.

I'm upgrading to a progressive scan TV and still haven't decided on a 4:3 set or a 16:9 set. I watch equal amounts of 4:3 and 16:9 material so the choice is difficult. I also have lots of non-anamorphic letterbox material which do NOT translate well to a 16:9 set.

2. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Yes it is an optical illusion, welcome to the world of marketing. the choice between 4:3 and 16x9 is a very personal choice, so just go with what makes yo uhappy, and be sure to do your research.

on a side note what brand is that 26" widescreen? where did you get it?

3. Alfred Seet

Alfred Seet Auditioning

The 26" widescreen that I'm using now is a SHARP analog TV. Pretty old, at least 5-7 years. I get very bad shimmering and moire on pictures with fine detail, so I want to get a new TV with progressive scan. Unfortunately, widescreen TVs are still a rarity in the TV market in Singapore and they come in sizes of 36" or greater.

At my bedroom viewing distance of 5 ft, that's too big. So it appears that my choice is limited to 4:3 sets by necessity.

4. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

personally i feel that if you dont dwell on it the black bars arent a bother, especially if your 4:3 tv does enhanced widescreen

5. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter