What's new

widescreen tv's and (disappearing) dvd subtitles (1 Viewer)

Bart_R

Stunt Coordinator
Hello everybody,

I've been considering getting a widescreen tv. I can get one for a very decent price, so I thought: "why not?". But then, last night I went to a friend's house and he was talking about how the subtitles of his Two Towers-dvd disappeared whenever he played it on his widescreen tv. He said it was a problem of the dvd, which I found somewhat vexing. I believe it is anamorphic, besides I think this big of a release wouldn't be treated in such a sub-par way.

So then, what is the problem? Is it because of the tv? The dvd-player (he has an X-box)? Because now I don't know about getting a widescreen tv. If half of my dvd's will have chopped-off subtitles it's no good (well, for me it is, but not for my family).

Can anyone here help me out perhaps? Do you know what the deal is? Should I just wait until I can afford a projector or something, or is the problem fixable?

Thanks in advance...

Craig

Second Unit
If the TV is in a zoom mode then you can have this problem. A widescreen TV will have a mode for viewing anamorphic DVDs (Toshiba calls it the FULL mode for example) and you shouldn't lose any subtitles.

I've had some problems with non-anamorphic foreign language DVDs with subtitles that show in the black bars. When I go into one of the zoom modes (TW2) I've lost part of the subtitles. Again, this isn't the case with an anamorphic DVDS and I haven't had any problem with either Fellowship of The Ring or The Two Towers.

I'd say your friend needs to make sure his DVD player is in 16x9 mode and not 4:3 letterbox and also make sure his TV is in the proper mode for anamorphic DVDs.

Bart_R

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your replies :)

So, ok, it is probably some settings or configuration problem then... Well, good to know. Then I can go ahead with the purchase of that widescreen tv. If only to tide me over till I can afford a projector...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks