Widescreen TV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Thomas_A, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

WEll...seems my 6yr old Zenith TV has the Flu and the wife may let me get a new tv. We might have the 56"rpg looked at for cost...but right now...all I get is the power on button, and a beep when i turn it on! No pic..just jet black screen.
    Anyway...I'm in the market for a new widescreen TV!. One that will do what I need for quite a while. here is what i want!
    * of course high definition
    * no built in HD tuner
    * enough high tech connections to make a nerd happy
    * 50"-65"
    * budget: 2500 to 4K

any recomendations would be taken to heart! Just let me know some specifics why you like it over so and so...or what sets it appart! Ive kinda looked at Samsung and Panasonic TV's...LCD,RPG,DPL

Also..not that I'm asking for much already... why would you recomend one type system...say LCD orver DpL or vise versa

thanx guys...Ive been in here for a while on and off..and y'alls opinions are usually on target

Thomas...

BTW...a progressive scan DVD would be soon in the picture..

2. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Extra

Check out the 50 inch GWIII from Sony. I have one right now and it's amazing. I have yet to see a more clear and sharp picture on a tv before. The colors rock and it's got plenty of brightness and off viewing angles for daytime viewing. No burn in is a big plus too.

3. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

WE picked up a Sony 65" RPG last night.. open box... WAF took effect [​IMG]

I like the tv..however...I would have been happier with the sony 50" LCD ...60" was almost a thought too...but prices... ouch!!! (again WAF)

so It gets delivered today... between 2-4

bonus though...wife let me get a progressive scan DVD player to go with it and some component cables...whoo hooo

Dang thing is big...makes my 57" box tv look puny

So ...the search is over...thnx for nothing guys...dont know why I come in here to ask for help..when ya dont get any [​IMG]

4. John S

John S Producer

I think the reason you did not get many responses is because basically the same thread has come and gone on here many times. If you did some searches here, I am sure you could have got more info than you ever wanted on this sort of stuff.

I did not post a reply, because my HDTV had been delayed by a snow storm in the midwest. I would feel much better about posting on particulars of HD RPTV after I actually own one and can post my personal experiences once I have some to share.

In the end, you really would have to go look just as you did, and choose one you truly think you could live with the picture on it for several years.

In the end, Sony is quite respectable, and since you said it was an open box, I'm banking you got a real good deal on it.

The trucking company as now stated mine will be at my house tomorrow afternoon, I'm about as ready as I'll ever be for it, with my current equipment I suppose.

I checked out a lot of OTA HDTV (Downconverted for my current non-HDTV) over the weekend, and man is it ever hard to go back to NTSC after that. Digital Audio and great DVD looking video on NFL presentations was really choice.

Enjoy your new HDTV!!!!!!

May both our images be sharp, and our troubles be few....