Widescreen TV vs 4:3 TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Malo, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Dave Malo

Dave Malo Agent

I'm currently in the market to purchase a new TV. After visiting several electronic stores I've narrowed the choices down to a projection TV. Now here's the dilemma I have should I purchase a 16:9 projection TV or 4:3 projection TV. The TV will be used for watching movies for 90% of the time. Any help would be great if possible brand name would be great. Also the size of the TV I'm looking at is 53" to 61"
    [​IMG]

2. GarryW

GarryW Stunt Coordinator

Your DVD's will look fantastic with a widescreen HDTV ready set. I would look at Mits, Toshiba or Pioneer. And also check out www.hometheaterspot.com for great info too.

3. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Depends on your viewing habits.

I have a much larger percentage of Academy ratio films in my collection than 'scope films, and so it makes sense for me to stick with a 4x3 set that does the squeeze and displays a progressive image.

But if you watch a larger percentage of 'scope films (or 1.85:1 ratio films), then you'd likely be better off with a widescreen set.

4. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Personally, I prefer 16:9, since I watch a lot of movies and prefer to watch them in their original aspect ratio. I don't have any movies that were filmed in Academy ratio (4:3). But, in the end it's an individual preference. Buy the TV that will allow you to watch movies in the aspect ratio that you enjoy.

Vlad

5. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Dave:

Since 90% of your usage will be movies (I'm assuming DVD movies) you should definitely consider a widescreen set as 99% of DVDs are widescreen.

Also, make sure you get a capable Progressive scan DVD player (like the Panasonic 56) and you will be very happy.

Good Luck.

Rich B.

6. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

If it really is 90% movies then absolutely positively widescreen. I own a 55" Mitsubishi and love it--especially after applying the multitude of calibration tweaks you can read about on the Internet--but I've heard nice things about the Toshiba in that same price range as well and assume it is similarly easy to calibrate.

--Steve