What's new

Widescreen TV strechmode opinions. (1 Viewer)

Daniel Mc

Agent
I'm on the verge of buying a Toshiba 42h81, but recently had some doubts because of the whole burn-in issue with 4:3 programming (I watch a moderate amount of TV, but also maybe a movie every 1 or 2 weeks). I'd like to hear what those of you who use stretch modes to fill a 16:9 screen when viewing 4:3 format think...is it annoying, or is it tolerable?

(Lately I've been reading alot of suggestions to get a 4:3 set, which scares me since I really had my eye on that widescreen.)

Thanks.

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
I have the 50H81. The stretch mode called Theater Wide 1 works very well IMHO. It basically leaves the center of the picture alone and stretches the sides. I had expected it to be very noticeable but it's not. A casual viewer won't notice a thing.

The news crawl at the bottom of CNN? I would have expected the letters to stretch as they moved across the bottom of the screen..but if they do, it's too subtle for me to notice.

Having said that; once in a great while, a shot of someone standing in profile at the edge of the screen looks a bit fatter. But all in all, I think it's a well executed 4:3 compromise.

SteveA

Supporting Actor
The Theaterwide1 stretch mode on my 50H81 is so good that I have not watched even one 4:3 program in "normal" (window-boxed) mode. You'll be pleasantly suprised.

16:9 sets are the future. Don't let anyone talk you into getting a 4:3.

Marc Alexander

Stunt Coordinator
definitely tolerable...I almost bought a 4x3 set. HD and DVD presentation in 16x9 is worth the distorted 4x3 presentations. On the programs that don't look right, I'll use the gray bar mode. This is rare so burn-in is not an issue.

SteveBjr

Stunt Coordinator
I agree, i too have the 42h81 and i never ever watch anything in 4X3. I use Theaterwide 1 for anything that isn't anamorphic widescreen and Full for all anamorphic material. Theaterwide 2 and 3 are ok but i prefer TW 1 the most. I think once you see the stretch modes you will not even bother watching anything in 4X3 anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks