Widescreen TV recommendations

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jonathan_Foy, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Jonathan_Foy

Jonathan_Foy Auditioning

My brother and I are planning on buying a widescreen, high definition tv. He doesn't really know anything about them, and while I know a decent bit, I figured I'd ask for recommendations. We're looking at a $1500-2000 price range.

As we're probably just going to get it from best buy, we were looking at their selection, specifically the Panasonic PT-47WX42 or the Samsung HCL4715W. However, we are by no means limiting ourselves to these, and welcome any suggestions (and is it cheaper to order these online, with delivery costs and all?). Thanks.

Also, I tried searching for relavent threads, but couldn't find what I was looking for. So if this has been discussed recently, I would be perfectly happy with a link to an informative thread.

2. Bill Lide

Bill Lide Extra

I like the sony's. I just bought a 57 inch for $2499 and love it. I also priced some toshibas and they sound more in your price range and are good all round TVs.

Just my opinion...

Good Luck

3. wayne-sun

wayne-sun Agent

Just got a Toshiba 50H82 last week paid $2950 canadian (About $1900 US) And I think the picture is fantastic. As well it has a very slim cabinet so it was easy to get in the house.

4. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    The Panasonic/Toshiba/Pioneer with an ISF calibration will give you as good a picture as just about any set out there. If you're on a limited budget, get the cheaper one(probably panasinic) and an ISF calibration. It will look way better than a $3K set w/out an ISF calibration(or even $5K for that matter).

5. Lee Petty

Lee Petty Stunt Coordinator

i like the sony's as well. places like Onecall carry widescreen tvs at a discount and free shipping. you can get the 51 inch sony for a little over $2k. they have this tv at bestbuy if you want to see it firsthand.

6. Rain

Rain Producer

Ah, this may be just the thread I need.

I'm looking at buying a 16:9 TV next month and definitely could use some advice.

One of the models that I looked at was the Hitachi 43UWX10B, which looked pretty nice.

But, to my eye, the Sony TVs I looked at (and don't know the model numbers to, but it comes in 51" and 57" from what I'm told) look somehow sharper and clearer to my eye. Of course, that was just in the showroom, so it might just be a matter of calibration.

So, um, I guess I'm just giving this thread a bump in the hopes of hearing some more thoughts on the matter. Like the thread-starter, I'm not limited to just the ones I mentioned.

And if anyone has the Hitachi TV I'm talking about, I'd love to hear what you think of it so far.

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

This thread has some discussion as to the merits of what many consider to be the two best RPTVs. I recently purchased a couple of HD-ready sets and determined that RPTVs did not suit my needs, so I did not spend much time evaluating them. However, in the time I did spend in comparison, my personal preference was for the Pioneer ‘Elite’ series.

8. Jonathan_Foy

Jonathan_Foy Auditioning

Alright, I've changed the list as to what we're currently looking at. Now it seems to be between the Toshiba 50H82 and the Panasonic PT53WX42. One thing my brother is worried about is a screen protector, which I have heard the Panasonic may not have. Anyone know anything about this? Does the Toshiba have one? From what I hear it's mainly a matter of taste between these two TVs (and DVI upgradeability, which I don't really care about), but I just thought I'd see if anyone had anything else to say on these two. Thanks

9. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Another vote for Sony. Bought an Hitachi 53UWX10B last September, had a very nice HD and progressive dvd picture though the color detail was not as good as on my previous analog Hitachi. It's variable stretch mode was nasty. The line doubling was weird in that it sorta made fleshtones look posterized, as if people's faces were painted with flat latex paint. Also had a greenish tinge in the dark part of the grayscale, very slow channel changing, very inconsistent black levels from one cable or sat channel to another. After 2 weeks of nightly tweaking sessions I gave up.

Swapped it for a Sony KP-57HW40, and after a 20 minute session with AVIA was very happy. The Sony is much better at displaying subtle colors, like variances in fleshtones. The variable stretch mode is much better, less funhouse mirror effect.

The Hitachi will display a brighter picture if you need to overcome a very brightly lit room, but in anything less than a sunporch environment the Sony is ok.

I have no experience in my home of Toshiba, Panasonic, or other brands and really don't feel that store environments are good for evaluation (The Hitachi I originally bought looked better in the store than the Sony, but not as good in my home).