1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Widescreen TV help needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe6pack99, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Joe6pack99

Joe6pack99 Second Unit

Hey guys well I've been out of the tv game for about 2 yrs. I just had the unfortunate pleasure of watching my soon to be 3 yr old Sony 36inh Wega die on me. While picking up some dvd's today i started looking at tv's and at BB they are doing a 1 yr no interest and at CC 2 yrs no interest. So of course now i want but i quickly realized that their choices are quite limited compared to online. I am looking to spend give or take around 3000 so what are the contenders that you guys recommend with positives and negatives? Thx in advance for the help.

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

If you are considering another direct view set, I think that the Sony 34XBR800, the Panasonic 34”wide screen are both very good, as is the 34” Toshiba.

3. Joe6pack99

Joe6pack99 Second Unit

no i want something big give or take 65 inch or so most likely a hdtv widescreen. Preferably one easy to move around unlike my Sony Wega.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jarret, why did a three-year-old Sony WEGA give up the ghost so soon? Were you overdriving it or abusing it in some other way? You should have received many more years of service out of the thing.

5. Matthew_F

Matthew_F Stunt Coordinator

Actaully from what I've hear is that Sony has been having QC problems since their factory has moved to Mexico. It's not too surprizing to me if a Sony dies so soon.

If you want a new projection set. Go with the Hitachi TWX series. Comes in two sizes, 57" and 65". You could also go with the XWX series.. which is basically the TWX series, but has a black high-gloss finish and an HDTV decoder (*I missed decoder out*). Don't play games on this set thou! =)

Hope this helps

6. Joe6pack99

Joe6pack99 Second Unit

Well I have had so mnay probs with the Wega its not even funny. Its been repaired 3 times and last week i go to turn it on and wham no picture or sound. So while i wait to decide on what to do i have my home theater just rotting with great releases coming out as you guys know. I wish i could buy online as the selection is much better but the only way right now i can afford a good widescreen is to buy at BB or CC cause of there no interest. Next time i get some time will go to each store and write what the local ones carry and post here so i can get some recommendations from you guys.

7. Matthew_F

Jarrett,

I would recommend that you stop repairing your Wega and just go for a new TV set. From what you have described, that is one of the three problems the TV sets keep dying from. The sound, picture tube, or it doesn't even power up at all or something.

In my ealier post, I mentinoed about the Hitachi TWX/XWX, however BB does not carry them. CC carries the XWX but I'm not sure about the TWX.

Hope this helps

8. Joe6pack99

Joe6pack99 Second Unit

Matthew: Thx for the advice about the Hitachi i will go check it out. Yes i have come to the same conclusion about the Sony....its shot bottom line. Basically from what u said above there are two lines of hitachi, what are the main differences? Is it in quality,features,etc?

9. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Jarrett,

Have you thought of e-mailing Sony with your situation? Maybe they could offer you some credit towards a new set? Maybe pointing them in the direction of this forum would help aid them in coming to a favourable decision:wink:. Then again you may not want another Sony?

Kevin

10. Joe6pack99

Joe6pack99 Second Unit

Kevin yes actually tried that already but no luck they basically told me the warranty ran out blah blah. I figure i got a lemon so atleast for now i am gooing to take the lost perhaps down the road figure out what to do with it. For now its time to move on to bigger and better.......so tell me guys what should i be looking for.....Are there any sets that can do 1080p btw? Otherwise 1080i and 720p is a must of course along with hdtv...what else should i look at?

11. Matthew_F

Hi Jarrett,
    The TVs for the TWX and XWX series are exactly the same. The difference is that the XWX is the flagship series and it has a built-in HDTV decoder and has a black high-gloss finish. The TWX doesn't have a HDTV decoder and has a grey finish and marble decorated like panels.
    http://www.hitachi.com/tv/browse/pro...al_index.shtml
    Hope this helps =)
    --
    There is no such thing as 1080p.. maybe later but who knows. The Hitachi set can do 480p, 540p, 720p and 1080i.