What's new

Widescreen TV for around $2000 (1 Viewer)

Roger_C

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for a widescreen TV for around $2000-$2500. Will mostly be used for DVD (not progressive yet), PS2, and regular TV. Any sugestions as to brands or models?

Harold A

Stunt Coordinator
I am another vote for the Panasonic. I have the PT-47WX49 which does not have the protective screen. I think the picture is great after being tweaked. I got mine for $1450.

Roger_C

Stunt Coordinator
Those prices sound very good. Thanks for the input. I'll check 'em out! Anybody else?

Matt Fitzgerald

Auditioning
You should also check out the Toshiba 50H81 (~$1950 - $2000) or for about $150 - $200 more, the 50HX81 (Cinema Series). I have the 57HX81 (paid $2449) and love it!:)

Richard_Huntington

Stunt Coordinator
I went to a nearby TWEETER during lunch today and looked at a number of sets. Both the 46" Mitsubishi and 47" Panasonic were playing HDNET and looked exceptional. The Mitsubishi was a little washed out, but factory setinsg cannot be used to judge picture quality. I can only say that both sets had amazing clarity.

The Panasonic does not need a stand, while the Mitsubishi does, so take that into consideration when pricing. the stand is at least $250.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
I highly recommend any 2001-2002 model Toshiba HDTV's!! :)
I've had my ($2,075 w/Free SH, no CA tax) Toshiba 50H81 since August 1st and enjoyed the newest technology employed by Toshiba's latest HDTV Monitor offerings.
Check out my digital pic images (5 webpages) from my 50H81
Page 1 - taken Aug. 2nd., w/less than 10-12 hours of use - consider the pic's right out of the box.
......Performed Video Essentials Calibration after a couple of hours of use
......Used Touch Focus and the consumer menu driven 9-pt. Convergence option.
Page 2 - About 2-weeks later, after I worked up the courage to perform the Service MODE 56-pt. Convergence Process
......Finally verified VE w/AVIA = 0% Red Push!
Page 3 - - About 2-weeks later
Page 4 - Again, about 3-weeks later including images from the new DVD "Spy Kids".
Page 5 - Again, about a month later including images from "Star Wars - Episode I - The Phantom Menace".
NOTE: If too many view my 'free' GeoCities' website, they will shut it down for an hour or so. Just check back later to see the digital images.
Phil

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just some friendly advice: all of these sets will look pretty comparable after a good ISF calibration. And if you're going to be watching DVDs and HDTV, you should really get that done to any RPTV you buy.

So if you keep in mind that you're going to ISF the set, no matter which you buy, you can make up your mind based on features and bells and whistles, which differ from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks