Widescreen support..Legion of Directors?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Dec 28, 2001.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I hope that I'm writing this in the right place, but here goes....

Copmanies like Blockbusters may not listen to consumers, but maby it's time these directors started banding together and start getting the word out on Widescreen DVD? Maby even going so far as saying that they won't work with any studio that puts their product out on Pan and Scan?

You can tell I know absolutly nothing about this medium, but just an idea I was wondering about. Surley a director would have more clout than the every day movie watcher?

2. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

3. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

It would be nice if directors had the "clout" but they don't. They can insist, they can threaten, they can do anything they want, but ultimately, the studios make the decisions as to how to market the home video aspect of a film. That's all beside the fact that the studios have been editing VHS for the past two decades. Just because it's a new or better format, don't expect the studios to turn their backs on profits for the sake of OAR.

Bruce

4. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I know Martin Scorsese is a big advocate of widescreen presentation on home video. Unfortunately, I don't think he has much clout with the average consumer. We need some big name directors like Lucas and Spielberg to jump on the bandwagon. Would it kill them to do a brief intro on a dvd release of one of their movies explaining the benefits of OAR?
    Edit: Welcome to the HTF! [​IMG]

5. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Steven Speilberg pushed to have The Color Purple, Innerspace, and Always released ONLY in widescreen, even on VHS; sadly he seems to have given up recently though.

6. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Too think I used to be the average consumer.
    But, fate walked in before DVD, when I found a laser disc of Ghostbusters, cheap. We didn't, and still don't have a laser disc player, but since I was going to highschool then, I knew they did.
    So, I mooched off theirs, and taped the disc to a VHS so I could watch it over the summer break. I was dissapointed to see it with those 'black bars', on top and bottom. However, I've seen the Pan and Scan so many times, I knew each scene by heart, and was amazed at what I was missing out on.
    After that, I could never go back to the Pan and Scan version again. As Egon himself, Mr.Harold Ramis says, "Thank goodness you have the DVD, so you can see it in it's correct aspect ratio. On Pan and Scan, I'm always cut out on the left side of the shot.." [​IMG]

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Richard Donner is a big OAR guy. From what I'm told he's why Goonies is widescreen [​IMG]
    Lucas USED to be big on OAR, at one point he was going to forbid P&S of Star Wars, but obviously they drove a truckload of money up to the ranch ;(

8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer