Widescreen Star Wars

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew_Sch, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I was just wondering if the original Star Wars Trilogy is available in widescreen VHS. I ask because my friends have threatened to tie me down and make me watch it, which I have no problem with, except that I cannot and will not watch pan and scam. Of course, my friend proceeded to give me some crap about how, "70% of a great movie is better than 0%" and "people have been watching it in fullscreen for years." So yeah, there's my question.

2. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

It is available in at least three different Widescreen Versions.

THX REMASTERED

SPECIAL EDITIONS

SPECIAL EDITIONS (w/ Episode II footage)

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The widescreen versions may be in short supply, didn't they go OOP again.
    And I have to say
    YOU...HAVEN'T...SEEN...STAR....WARS??????????????? ???????[​IMG]

4. Rain

Rain Producer

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Hasn't seen Star Wars: Interesting
    Has no problem being tied down by his friends and shown widescreen videos: Very Interesting [​IMG]
    Regards,

6. Travis D

Travis D Second Unit

At this point, finding a copy of the Widescreen Star Wars on VHS in stores will be impossible. If you want to... Ebay is a good alternative.
    I enjoyed these films for many years in their pan n' scan incarnations before I learned the truth. All I'm going to say without hopfully inciting a riot is, if you can't get ahold of unbutchered versions, get ahold of butchered versions. Just get a version of the movie.

7. Rain

Rain Producer

8. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member

Doug

9. Dave H

Dave H Producer

The best widescreen, original trilogy Star Wars VHS is the THX version that came out in 1995. They have been selling on EBAY for $30-50.00.

10. Rain

Rain Producer

Evidently, I stand corrected.

The place where I had seen these tapes before no longer has any widescreen copies.

I don't really keep track of VHS stuff, so maybe I saw them before they went out of print.

My apologies. :b

11. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Check your local Borders. I saw a copy of the widescreen trilogy on VHS there a couple weeks ago. I almost bought it myslef, but my VCR has seen better days and I don't plan on buying a new one until D-VHS becomes affodable.

J

12. Martin G

Martin G Second Unit

I know that the local Hastings around where I live has about 4 sets of the WS trilogy.

13. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Hmm, thanks for this outpouring everybody, I don't know if I remember correctly, but I think my friend, the same one who gave me the spiel about not needing widescreen, said he has the widescreen versions. Anyway, thanks for all the advice, but I'm looking to extend my streak of 0 VHS purchases for my entire life, so I won't be buying. I'll probably be laughed out of the forum for this, but is there a chance any rental place would carry WS SW? On a side note, my mom took some DVDs back to our neighborhood Blockbuster this morning and saw that one of its floor to ceiling windows had been completely smashed. Hey, don't look at me[​IMG]

14. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

If you have the option, if at all possible, watch the originals (in OAR) before the Special Editions! I hate to say it, but if you can only find the special editions for sale, buy them, but still watch the originals as well, even if you have no choice but to rent pan and scam versions of them.

(People may flame me for this, but guys, there are many places in this country *like the wastelands of Western Kansas* where seeing the originals in pan and scam is the only option unless you buy a used set on eBay.)

15. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Hmm. Well you could try Black Star who do video hunts. Of course this will probably be PAL.
    Actually I believe they have a U.S. arm called www.bigstar.com but don't quote me on that.

16. JohnJB

JohnJB Stunt Coordinator

Not trying to gloat (well only a little) but do you guy's in the states not have Digital Satellite TV?

In the UK (gloating beginns) Sky TV often broadcast the original trilogy (unfortunately the SE versions) along with Episode I all in 2:35 anamorphic, they look simply stunning on my 56" rear proj. w/screen tellly, Episode I looks marginally better than the DVD, slightly less resolution but no EE, obviously the DVD wins with the 5.1 vs. surround, although said channel are slowly introducing DD5.1 sound as well, thanks Mr. Murdoc! I bet those three last words are not heard very often, other than in jest!!!

17. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Hi -- I might as well ask my WS Star Wars question too.
    OK, I managed to get a hold of an older Pioneer laserdisc player. It just has stereo audio outputs.
    I also managed to get these:
    [​IMG]
    3 discs for $42.
    First, did I over pay?
    Second, are they decent ways to watch SW trilogy? Should I have gotten a different version? I believe these are the "THX" versions which are the original versions of the film.
    Third, how long do we think it will be until a DVD set comes out so I can dump these discs while I can still get something for the.
    Thanks!

18. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Patrick, that is the best possible way to watch the original trilogy on home video. The CAV "definitive collection" has some nice supplements, but too many disc swaps for my taste. The only way you overpaid for the discs is if you think the movies stink. [​IMG] All releases subsequent to these have been the Special Edition versions.
    Regards,

19. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

So, this version is OK audio and video wise? I was unsure of all the different versions...

Like I said, this laserdisc player just has stereo outputs. I believe this is a Dolby Surround release anyhow so my receiver should be able to get a center channel out of it. What happens with the bass since there is no dedicated LFE channel?

BTW, what the heck is CAV and CLV? I know nothing about laserdiscs.

20. Jeff Ashforth

Jeff Ashforth Stunt Coordinator

Patrick,
    You didn't overpay. Those are the last, and IMHO, best releases of the SW trilogy on laser disc. It's ok that your LD player only has stereo outputs, because those discs are only in Pro Logic.
    The Special Editions had 5.1 DD tracks, but they also have Greedo shooting first [​IMG].
    I would hold on to them with both hands in a death grip, as they are likely the only way you will be able to watch the original versions of these films on a digital* format.
    *[edit]I should say "laser-read" format, as LD video is analog.:b [edit]