What's new

"widescreen" Silence Of The Lambs out of print, while "fullscreen" remains avail (1 Viewer)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I noticed that the widescreen versions of this title are becoming very scarce to find (luckily, I have this as well as the Criterion) but yet the fullscreen version is still easy to find just about everywhere. According to Amazon and DVDAficinado, the widescreen MGM version is now deleted, yet the pan-and-scam is still available. Is there any real reason why the original aspect ratio has been taken off the market, while the fullscreen version is easy to find at every b&m? it's one of my favorite movies of all time and something you can't really appreciate until you've seen it in widescreen.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
In the day and age of more people owning widescreen tv's, taking the Widescreen off the market doesn't make much sense, but unless you are a HT enthusiast, you might not even care that much. I'm guessing that is their reasoning, but they could just make it OAR only and that would be fine with me. ;)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The fullscreen version probably did not sell, thus it is still around. Once it is gone, the high definition version is sure to follow.

- Steve

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I have an old "Image" LaserDisc of SILENCE OF THE LAMBS that came in an odd "digipak" jacket. It was strange to see a LaserDisc released that way, and I've never run across another. That disc was released fullscreen, but really, when comparing it to the MGM widescreen DVD, the LaserDisc was just an open-matte of the film.

Though that open-matte presentation gave more picture information, I still prefer the film widescreen, as eliminating the extraneous information top and bottom adds to the claustrophobic feel of the film.

Harry

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Yes, this is one title that I could see getting released as HD relatively soon.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
When I went to dvdbeaver, I noticed that the Criterion version shows a lot more on the sides in many of the screenshots than the MGM version does. Why does the latter crop so much for a 1.85:1 film?

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Interestingly, not only was this one of the small group of LDs released by Image in a "Digipak" [they actually were running some kind of study — I think the discs came with a comment card asking for reactions], it was also one of the small group of films released in Japan on High Definition MUSE LaserDisc — ALSO in a Digipak! Most MUSE LDs were packaged that way.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
There have been FOUR editions of "Silence" on DVD:

non-anamorphic bare-bones Image release
non-anamorphic Criterion Collection release
anamorphic widescreen MGM Special Edition
fullscreen MGM Special Edition
fullscreen MGM "Hannibal Lecter Collection" edition

that last one is probably the one that's still commonly available. A year or two ago, MGM re-released "Silence", "Hannibal" and "Manhunter" as "The Hannibal Lecter Collection". Sadly, they were all bare-bones editions with fullscreen transfers, which is really unfortunate in the case of "Manhunter" because it's the only version of the true theatrical cut available anywhere in R1.

Another option for getting the anamorphic widescreen Special Edition of "Silence" is to pick up MGM's "Hannibal Lecter Anthology". Sure, "Hannibal" is vastly inferior but it's a packed 2-disc edition.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Now that Sony owns the MGM catalogue, guess they are doing the same thing they did with most of the Sony DVDs, letting the widescreen versions go out of print and reissuing full frame only versions.

Maybe it is just to get it off the market to force people into Blu Ray early, but it doesn't make sense any other way.

And I also remember the SILENCE laserdisc packaging. It WAS the only one I remember that way as well. And didn't it have a lower price tag as well?

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I bought a sealed copy of FX2 since it came in a laser-digipak, just to have one. Someone later gave me the Silence of the Lambs disc in the same type of cover, and I've seen Little Man Tate in one too. All of these were from Orion.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
There's a very good chance that a new DVD version of The Silence of the Lambs will be released in the US soon.

The UK gets a new Ultimate Edition in two weeks' time, and it has a bunch of new content that was produced by Laurent Bouzereau.

Review of the Ultimate Edition

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Would be nice to have a real "Ultimate" Edition: all the extras from Criterion and this new UE, plus a new Criterion transfer...

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor

i agree the extras on this new "ultimate" edtion are all but the same.
Also on that review it shows the new mgm discs mess up the colour timing and the captions

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

The R1 MGM "Silence of the Lambs" SE had burned-in subs. If this "Ultimate Edition" is released here, I imagine it would have the burned-in subs again, they would probably even use the same transfer.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
Bill i forgot the u.s. discs are not player generated my mistake.
The U.k. discs have the Euro subs on it hence the player generated titles and subs.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

That's not true about the color timing. This has been discussed previously and this transfer (as well as the Criterion) was approved by Tak Fujimoto.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks