Widescreen Sales Win!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joshua Clinard, Dec 1, 2001.

1. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    I just wanted to compare the Widescreen vs. Pan & Scan sales of popular DVD's that have seperate widescreen and pan & scan releases. The following information is from Amazon.com at 1:30 AM

TITLE: (OAR Sales) (Pan & Scan Sales)

The Princess Diaries: (89) (251)

The Grinch: (15) (17)

Willy Wonka: (39) (128)

Cat's & Dogs: (276) (67)

The Mummy Returns: (20) (216)

Jurrassic Park: (1,130) (2,695)

Jurrassic Park & Lost World: (1,696) (4,202)

Every movie except for Cat's & Dogs is selling many more widescreen copies than pan & scan. What is also clear, is that the people who shop online are more educated about OAR/P&S. If the studios would help educate the non internet users, MANY would prefer OAR as well. Refer to the thread in my sig to get some ideas on how the studios can help.

2. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

You make a very good point about internet users being more OAR-savvy. I don't know if it's because internet users are more technologically capable and that has something to do with it or what, but internet sales trends are clearly more in favor of OAR than B&M sales.

3. EugeneR

EugeneR Second Unit

Joshua,

I think you entered the numbers in reverse on most of those. On your list all but one of the P&S versions outsells the OAR by a wide margin.

4. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

Eugene,

Those are sales rankings, so a smaller number represents higher sales. As in, being Number 1 is better than being Number 10.

Another reason I think Internet sales of widescreen is higher is because widescreen is usually more avaialble from Web sites. Walk into most major B&Ms and you'll find nothing but full screen. Most consumers just grab what they see on the shelf.

5. Dave H

Dave H Producer

People who are more into home theater tend to use the Internet more for info. and are more inclined to OAR....J6P doesn't know or care....

6. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

As more movies are released in WS and P&S, having a greater selection of WS movies from e-tailers might be how they will survive and find their niche. I can see places like Wal-Mart and K-Mart being the first B & M stores to only stock P & S versions of DVD's.

(Start of rant) We must put pressure on the stuidios to not abandon the market that put DVD's in the marketplace to begin with. (End of rant.)

7. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    I have heard that many of the sales charts do not take into account internet sales. Most charts show P&S and Widescreen sales as being neck and neck for most titles. I wonder if factoring in online sales would make a difference.

8. ScottB

ScottB Auditioning

i don't know if this has been reported yet on this site elsewhere already, but even in the in-store (B&M) sales the widescreens are beating out the p&s with this week's new releases.

The GRINCH OAR is #2 on the sales chart, whereas the full frame version is #5. Very good news, especially as someone else pointed out above the stereotype is that b&m customers are less savvy (but in this case, still managed to pick up the right disc!). It's also heartening that stores managed to stock both this time (w/ the Mummy Returns & Cats & Dogs, most places only had the full screen version).

ON a side note, its amusing to see THE GRINCH at #2, despite all the hype that Universal made about it being the biggest selling disc ever. Of course, it is if you include all the different editions together, but the sales charts don't compute that way, and therefore Planet of the Apes is at the #1 spot.

9. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

Josh,

According to the way you posted, Widescreen is undersold to P&S!

10. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Brad. Take a look at Ken's post above.

C. Ryan

11. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Looks encouraging!