What's new

Widescreen Question!! Please help (1 Viewer)

Kevin Parker

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys,
I just bought a daewoo 30" 16:9 HDTV, I am little concern about watching DVD on it. When I watch movies on dvd it doesnt fill the whole screen, I have three screen mode on my TV: Normal, Full, and Zoom. In normal mode it gives the 4:3 picture and full mode stretch the picture but I still see bars on top and bottom and zoom mode fill the screen but of course it crops the image. does 16:9 TV suppose to work like this? if yes, then whats the benefit to buy 16:9 anyways, when you have to stretch or crop the image to fill the screen.

any thoughts??

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Kevin:

first thing, you need to change the output of your DVD player to 16:9 rather than 4:3, if you haven't already since you changed TVs. you shouldn't have to zoom in then.

however, if you're watching a non-anamorphic DVD, e.g. The Abyss, or a 4:3 TV show on DVD, you'll still have to zoom (for The Abyss) or stretch (for TV) the image.

note also that if the DVD is of a movie whose aspect ratio is 2.35:1, you'll still have small black bars top and bottom. this is normal, since your 16:9 TV is about 1.78:1, so the 2.35:1 image still won't fill the TV screen completely. but since the ratio is closer than plain old 4:3 (which is 1.33:1), the black bars are now smaller. if the movie is 1.85:1, the black bars are neglible, or will have vanished because of overscan (i.e. the TV doesn't actually display everything that is sent to it, but here you're only losing the black bars anyway).

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
The post above is correct, but I also note you asked a few other questions, so i thought I would jump in and try to provide an answer or two.

You asked: >>I just bought a daewoo 30" 16:9 HDTV, I am little concern about watching DVD on it. When I watch movies on dvd it doesnt fill the whole screen, I have three screen mode on my TV: Normal, Full, and Zoom. In normal mode it gives the 4:3 picture and full mode stretch the picture but I still see bars on top and bottom> and zoom mode fill the screen but of course it crops the image. does 16:9 TV suppose to work like this?

Kevin Parker

Stunt Coordinator
Thanx Guys for great replies, and specially BruceSpielbauer who wrote such a detailed and informative reply. Thanx again guys.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
We really need to make a sticky thread in this section "Just bought a widescreen TV? Read this!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks