Widescreen - Pan & Scan

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chas_Michael, Nov 9, 2001.

1. Chas_Michael

Chas_Michael Second Unit

Correct me if i'm wrong, but was'nt Speilberg one of the first to offer separate widescreen & pan & scan releases for Jurassic Park & The Lost World? Forcing a collector to spend much more to obtain all the versions. I understand that none of us OAR lovers would be interested in p & s but there are collectors who have to have all versions. I find this to be amazingly greedy! The same complaints over and over again about BB and OAR. If the studios went back to releasing a widescreen and pan & scan on one DVD like they did in the early years of DVD, there would be less complaining and everyone would be happy. Now they release a widescreen, pan & scan and then they release an Ultimate Edition with both versions!

2. DarrenA

DarrenA Second Unit

Their were seperately sold DVD versions long before Jurassic Park and The Lost World. Though I believe that Universal has been doing this the most.
    Both Patch Adams and The Mummy were released by Universal before Jurassic Park and available as seperate P&S and OAR versions.
    As for collector's wanting both versions. I have never really heard of people wanting both versions. Usually folks either want the P&S version to fill their screen, or they want the same image as seen in the theater and buy the OAR version.
    ------------------
    DarrenA
    The Academy Home Theater

3. Jeff Leeds

Jeff Leeds Stunt Coordinator

I wish that they would put the P&S version on the backside of the disk. I personally only want to see OAR, but when my step-mother or another person that I've tried to explain the difference over and over again to no avail, it would just be easier for me to put the damn P&S version in and call it a day. Since I'm not buying any P&S, having it ont the backside of the disk would be cool, if they did that than Wally Mart and all of those other places could cater to J6P and to us at the same time.

4. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

5. Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill Second Unit