Widescreen Owners....What viewing mode do you watch 4:3 content?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan_R_M, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Dan_R_M

Dan_R_M Stunt Coordinator

Hey,

I was curious to know what viewing mode all of you watch 4:3 content. I am considering purchasing a wide screen tv, but after watching a friend of mines in "stretched" mode I am not sure I can deal with that. Sometimes it looks ok, but others it is really obvious that it is stretched. The "unscaled" mode cuts off way too much picture (bars on top and bottom, ugh!) Opinions are appreciated.

-Dan

2. Carlos Picart

I use a "stretch" mode that Sony has.. called Wide Zoom, 90% of people that watch with me don't even notice, even after I mention it.

I can only tell it's stretched at the sides of the screen.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

I use 4:3 mode with side bars except when there are people seated way off to the side, then I use 16:9 mode that gives a uniform stretch.

Keep the contrast down (CRT and plasma) and you won't get screen burn (non-uniform wear on phosphors).

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. DanielM

DanielM Stunt Coordinator

unless its a movie or something REAL interesting I just stretch 4:3 material I usually cant tell the difference anymore

5. Ottis Fletcher

Ottis Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

I have a Sony (kp46wt500) and wide zoom is great, it took me about 10 minutes to get use to it. With sources that are not anamorphic but letter boxed, especially shows on TV, like ER and many programs on the Science Channel, wide zoom gets puts the whole image with out on the screen with out the black bars.

6. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    I watch my 4x3 content in 4x3 mode w/ side bars, not that I watch quite that much 4x3 content. I don't want to watch anything stretched even if I can get used to it. IMHO, if you get used to the distorted image, it'll likely distort ALL your viewing (not just TV viewing) to some extent. It's really like getting brainwashed into accepting something other than reality. To me, it's worse than pan&scan/cropping of widescreen content to fit a 4x3 TV.

_Man_

7. Aaron Whitaker

Aaron Whitaker Stunt Coordinator

Panasonic has a 'JUST' stretch mode that isn't bad except for car commercials. I don't notice it.

8. Ottis Fletcher

Ottis Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

9. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW

10. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Yes, the Panasonic "JUST" mode is not too bad, don't want to ever go to 4:3 again if I can help it..[​IMG] PLus I am afraid of what i have heard about burn-in ect..

11. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

On my 46" screen using wide-zoom, it is my best estimation that about 8% of total video info is lost watching 4.3 material using this format. I have a 30" direct view in the same room and using this as a comparison, I think this estimation is pretty close. The 46" appears to be about 24" measured vertically(eyeballed not measured) of which about 1" is lost from the top and 1" lost from the bottom, hence, my est. of 8%. If you consider that 1" lost from the bottom has almost no impact and the same amount lost at the top usually has only a little because it can cut into the image of a persons head slightly. Wide-zoom is about as perfect as can be expected viewing 4.3 on a 16.9 set. As someone stated above, it is very hard to notice the stretch, and anyone not familiar with WS TV's wouldn't notice at all.

12. LeoSweers

LeoSweers Auditioning

My 47" panny never sees the 4:3 mode, only "JUST"

cheers

Leo

13. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Dan RM, be aware that every manufacturer impliments the stretch modes differently. I think Toshiba has been widely regarded as doing well in this area; ie, stretching without much (I know, a relative term) distortion.

What kind of widescreen does your friend have? I have a Tosh 50H81 and it's always in Theaterwide 1 mode when watching 4:3 programs which just stretches the edges.

14. Dan_R_M

Dan_R_M Stunt Coordinator

He has a sony 32" plasma screen....I am considering getting the sony 34" xbr...what stretch modes are available for this model and how do they differ? Thanks for all the responses!

-Dan

15. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

For regular tv I do use the stretch mode (natural wide) on my pioneer which is actually very good. However, when watching a 1.33:1 dvd, I watch in in 4:3 with black bars on the side (using scaling from my rp91).

16. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Sony VPL-VW11HT, ZOOM mode

17. Kyle P

Kyle P Extra

I have a Tosh 57hdx82 and the theatrewide 1 mode suits my taste for 4:3 material. It's a relational stretch that scales and stretches more toward the perimeter of the screen.

18. Matthew-K

Matthew-K Stunt Coordinator

On my panny 47"/49 I use "just" mode in conjuction with DISH NETWORK satelite. The DISH NETWORK receiver has a menu option that lest you select 4:3, or 16:9, depending on what shape your display device is. No more worrying about distortion.[​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

For non-critical TV viewing (sports, news, mind-numbing shows) I use the stretch mode on my Toshiba. For 4x3 DVD material, I watch with black bars using the scaling function of my Panasonic RP-91.