What's new

Widescreen or 4:3 LCD for PC? (1 Viewer)

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Just ordered a new PC and opt for a 19" widescreen LCD, I have not received it yet but am wondering if I made the right choice? Other than HD and DVD viewing we hate our 42" Plasma for SD so I'm wondering what bad effects the Widescreen monitor has on regular PC usage?

Wes

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I personally haven't had a problem. It's simply felt like (slightly) more useable desktop space to me. The only real issue I've had (if you can call it that) is that my digital camera shoots 4x3 pictures and so they have to be heavily cropped for use as desktop backgrounds.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I used one for awhile in my last job and loved it. Regarding the 'issue' Adam mentioned, I actually saw a new digital camera recently that advertised it's widescreen mode that took pictures to fit the backgrounds of widescreen monitors. I thought it was pretty funny, but I guess it works.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
My notebook has a widescreen monitor and I love it. Windows is different then your TV as it scales nicely to widescreen so there isn't the distortion you see with SD on your 16:9 monitor.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I guess I am more worried about digital camera use and if 4:3 is better then Widescreen (my new one will be 16:10 aspect ratio).

Wes

Rommel_L

Second Unit
The only concern I have is it's harder to find good quality widescreen desktop pictures...

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
With todays high resolution camera's you've typically got plenty of crop room to crop down to widescreen resolutions so I don't find it a limitation at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks