widescreen on VHS?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonKrol, Jan 17, 2002.

1. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

Im just wondering, do movies get released in widescreen format on VHS anymore? Ive seen them before, heck I owned the widescreen version of Jurassic Park 1 on VHS when it came out...but lately I havent seen any...ever...Star Wars on VHS would be nice in widescreen (which Im sure probably exists..)

but are movies just normally not released in widescreen on VHS?

just curious..thanks!

2. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

From what I've seen, it's actually become more common. Star Wars has ALWAYS been available in widescreen, and I've also owned WS VHS versions of Jaws, Pulp Fiction, and the Matrix. Then I got a DVD player and the rest is history. I have seen some widescreen and even "Special Edition" VHS tapes out there though.

3. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

They used to charge soo much for them over here, though and you'd almost never see the w/s version in a sale. That's why I rarely bought videos.
    DVDs are nice....[​IMG]

4. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    They actually used to release quite a few movies in widescreen on VHS. In the mid-to-late 90s, laserdiscs were sort of declining, and DVD hadn't really taken off yet, and usually, if a prominent new title (or re-release of an old title) was released sell-through, a WS version would usually be made. I've owned WS VHS versions of the Star Wars, Star Trek, and Indiana Jones series, Jurassic Park, L.A. Coinfidential, Face/Off, Monty Python & the Holy Grail, E.T., Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Dark City, and even The Iron Giant. You had to kind of search for them, but they were there. Nowadays, WS VHS releases are getting rarer, but there are probably a few still around.