Widescreen on analog?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSchmidt, Dec 12, 2002.

1. NickSchmidt

NickSchmidt Agent

Question here:

Let's say I have a widescreen HDTV. And I use regular analog broadcasting (read: cable). Now, when a show says that it's broadcasted in widescreen high definition (such as Malcom in the Middle) does that mean I would still get the picture in widescreen with a standard cable input? Obviously I wouldn't get HD quality, but widescreen would be good. I ask this because there was a rolling demo of CBS HD at Best Buy today and it was in widescreen. Yet, the video was being fed through standard cable input and not component. Obviously I know it wasn't high definition quality, but it definitely WAS widescreen. So, can I get widescreen signals on a regular cable input?

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

>>> obviously not high definition
    Are you sure the store demo was HDTV going through the TV's regular antenna/cableready jack? If the TV had an ATSC tuner, it would take HDTV through an antenna jack but then it would (should) be showing high definition.
    There is no sense showing an HDTV program in a store using a standard definition TV, except to show an A/B comparison between high definition and regular TV. Otherwise it is known as a "waste of retail floor space".
    How it might be accomplished would be to use an HDTV set top box connected with an S-video cable to the TV, and the TV had zoom in effect so the picture filled the 16:9 screen (you said it was widescreen) approximately instead of being letterboxed with black on all four sides.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. NickSchmidt

NickSchmidt Agent

No I'm pretty sure it was just regular cable. I've talked to the people before and the only HDTVs they have at my Best Buy on an HD signal are the plasma TVs for some reason. [​IMG] But anyway the TV I was looking at was the Toshiba 34" direct view HDTV. It has DVI. Anyone here recommend it?

5. NickSchmidt

NickSchmidt Agent

Budunk-bump.
    Is it worth it? [​IMG]

6. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

As far as I know, mainly from reading posts here and elsewhere, it's a fine set. Is it worth it? Well, depends on your wants, needs and wallet. [​IMG]
    Personally, I'd rather spend $1000 or so less and get more screen real estate with a RPTV, but there are trade-offs in brightness and angle of view.
    Jan