What's new

Widescreen Headaches (1 Viewer)

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I have a friend who doesn't like the widescreen format because he says it gives him a headache. Has anyone else experienced this, or is he just bullshitting to cover up his ignorance?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
It's tough to argue against a medical need for pan & scan. I hope the poor fellow does not like to go to the movies, because there is not a lot of 4:3 stuff in theaters.

I suppose I could counter by mentioning that panning & scanning causes my gout to flare up.

Regards,

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
hmmmmm....sounds like a classic case of ignorance or just plain personal preference that is afraid to bow down to "peer pressure". Obviously an unloved child growing up.

DarrenA

Second Unit
I would tell him to stick to listening to the radio in his spare time as television is heading towards widescreen and theaters have been this way for the past five decades.

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
Actually it there may be a valid medical connection.
Pan and scan has always given me quite bad gas, and it made my neibor's cat impotent, so there may be a connection.
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Stole my joke! :p)

i WAS going to say, "P&S always gave me a headache!"

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
The headaches are as a result of staring in fascination at the black bars. He needs to modify his watching habits. I know they can be very exciting, but really you are supposed to be paying attention to the pretty lit-up-part between them.

I hope this helps.

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
I always get headaces during pan and scan movies Literally.

Like when I saw a rented version of Gladiator (I now have the widescreen verison) and also durring the God Awfull transfer of Ben-Hur on TNT during christmas. I just wanted to see how bad the Carriot Race scene looked in full screen.

He is brobaly BSing you about how widescreen gives him a headache

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I can watch Ben-Hur on a 19" without a single ounce of pain.

Also, wouldn't it be easier to just take some asprin to take away the headache?

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
I've always noticed that Columbia/Tri-Star videos are badly panned-and-scanned - to the point that the panning will give me motion-sickness.

Filipe Almeida Paz

Auditioning
The only time I experienced headaches watching a
widescreen movie was when I watched for the first
time Pearl Harbor in the biggest theatre in town:
I had to sit in the first row!
My head was moving at the speed of light so I could
have an ideia what was happening in the movie... :D

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
There was a time when every time I watched a movie in widescreen, I would wake up the next morning with a sore ass and a hangover. Then I realized I was being drugged by my roommate and rented out as a man-whore... and it had nothing to do with widescreen at all! But enough about last week... now, I'm watching anamorphic widescreen on a 4x3 television with no anal repercussions. :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks