What's new

Widescreen HDTV-Toshiba 50" vs. Panny 47"? (1 Viewer)

Pete D

Agent
I think I have narrowed my search down to these two widescreen HDTV-ready RPTV's.

Can anyone give me some differences between the two?

1. Which one has a better stretch mode for watching regular tv?

2. Which one looks better with digital cable?

3. Any other differences, suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Chris_MJ

Agent
Pete: I am in the same boat as you. The Toshiba stretches the 4:3 image better. However, there is a new model of the 50 inch Toshiba coming out in July/August. You might want to wait.

Chris_MJ

Agent
Well I am not an expert but from what I understand the Toshiba widescreens that end in 81 upconvert their 480i signal to 540p. However, doing this makes the image on the screen appear softer. Apparently, this new model will not do the upconversion and will display 480 natively. Check out my previous thread on Toshiba's RPTV 540p conversion problem...I posted today.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Actually, I just received word this morning that the 50H82 will be available in late June!

I have absolutely no specs and no pricing yet though.

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
Well, the new version of the Panny, the PT47WX52 will be shipping sometime in June as well. I have not heard of what the differences are.

I personally bought the Panny 47", and I love it. I did it because I heard great things about it and it was the largest set I could physically fit in a wall notch. Before that, I was considering the 42" Toshiba. Since I've had it I am VERY pleased with the set. I have to say I think the stretch mode on the Toshiba is a hair better then the Panny. But I can't beat the picture quality, the tweakability, and the affordability of the set (I paid $1570 over 6 months ago, probably would be less now).

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
If the xxx82 models pass 480p natively, I'm definitely waiting. Wonder when the 57HX82 will be avail? I'm looking to upgrade from my TW40X81, which has served me very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks