What's new

WideScreen games set up advice for PS2 (1 Viewer)

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Ok I have 3 games for my PS2 which are widescreen capable, and I own a 4:3 HDTV (toshiba 36hfx71) how would i set it up for widescreen?

Also when you play in widescreen are they cropping the top and bottom or giving you more on the sides.

The games i ahve ate Vice City, 007 Nightfire, and The Getaway.

any comments or advice would be much appreciated, although right now I am playing these in 4:3. also would they be anamorphic? IE can i use the squeeze mode on these games?

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
when you play in widescreen are they cropping the top and bottom or giving you more on the sides
Not cropping the top and bottom, adding more to the sides. Really good for racing games.

If the game menu includes a 16:9 option, select that. Then, turn on your anamorphic option on your television menu. Even though I have an auto-sensing anamorphic squeeze, for video games I have to manually switch it on. Also make sure that you have 16:9 selected in the PS2 main menu.

If the game does not support 16:9 and you put the anamorphic squeeze on, the scan lines will disappear but you will have a squished image.

~j

DarrinH

Second Unit
Joseph, how does the anamorphic function on the TV play in to this at all? The PS2 does not send an anamorphic picture to the TV when you select 16:9 in the software and hardware.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
DarrinH,

The PS2 does not send an anamorphic picture to the TV when you select 16:9 in the software and hardware
My PS2 does. The 16:9 option is there for a reason, it's not just some irrelevant, arbitrarily placed option in the menu.

In SSX Tricky (for instance), select "16:9" from the game's video options menu without activating a 4:3 television's 'anamorphic squeeze' The image you see will be stretched. In this instance, the PS2 is sending the video data as anamorphic, but if your television either doesn't support the anamorphic feature or it's turned off, you aren't going to see the intended aspect ratio.

However, if you turn on the television's 'squeeze' without selecting the widescreen option in a game, or without enabling your hardware to decode 16:9 data, your screen will gain that 33.3% resolution but the onscreen video will simply be squished.

cheers,
j

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The "16:9" setting in the PS2's menu is for the PS2 menu, not for the games. Turning "16:9" on just makes the PS2's menus in 16:9.

Philip_S

Stunt Coordinator
No, I had my PS2 set to 16:9 aspect on my 27" 4:3 TV. The menu screen was indeed letterboxed. When I bought Madden, the game was stretched out funny, even after changing the game's settings to 4:3. It wasn't until I changed the console's aspect setting that Madden looked normal.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'm really surprised there aren't more 16x9 capable games on the PS2. I have mine hooked up with component to my widescreen set, but so far don't own a game that really takes advantage.

I'm thinking of getting the componenent cables for my gamecube as I have games there that are 480p & or 16x9.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
most of the WS games i ahve seen have the WS mode hidden in the menus somewhere. you got to look for it. but ti is true only the newer ones are WS

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I wish all of the newer ones were widescreen. I have both Kingdom Hearts and Ratchet & Clank. Both seem perfect options for widescreen, but it's not there.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I'm just glad I can play my games in 4:3 so I don't have to deal with those black bars...

Just kidding!! :D

the game was stretched out funny, even after changing the game's settings to 4:3. It wasn't until I changed the console's aspect setting that Madden looked normal.
Yup, sounds about right.

One great advantage to getting the added resolution with PS2 games in particular is that the jaggies fade a bit and the scan lines (which seem particularly pronounced on the PS2, as opposed to the denser/cartoony look for the GCN and DC) go away.

If you like arcade racing games for the PS2 and have the right hardware, get Burnout 2. Not only does it support 16:9 and 480p, but DPL2 as well.

~j

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks