What's new

Widescreen for around $2000? (1 Viewer)

Roger_C

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for a widescreen TV for around $2000-$2500. Will mostly be used for DVD (not progressive yet), PS2, and regular TV. Any sugestions as to brands or models?

MichelA

Auditioning
If you are looking for a direct view TV, the Toshiba 34hf81 is excellent and at the low end of your $ range. This TV has resolution enhancing technology that makes it almost unnecessary to get a progressive scan DVD player, as long as you have a good connection between the player and the set - prefearably component video.

Roger_C

Stunt Coordinator
I like the idea of direct view, but I'm not sure if it would be large enough. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll add it to list of ones to check out.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Your choices are the Mits 46" 46809, Panasonic 47" PT-47 and toshiba 42" or 50" 42H81; 50H91 - these are widescreen sets. I may be off on the model numbers, haven't kept up since buying my PT-47 this summer, but if you do a search here and at www.hometheaterspot.com you should find what you're looking for.

BradZ

Stunt Coordinator
My vote would be for the Toshiba 42H81. If you watch a lot of 4:3 programming forget about the panny 47", it has the worst stretch mode for 4:3- everyone looks short and fat.

If you truly have no interest or ability to watch much HDTV you might seriously reconsider the widescreen decision. Go with a 4:3 set like Toshiba's 43H71 or Sony's 43ht20. Both offer anamorphic squeeze to take advantage of anamorphic dvd's and you won't have to watch distorted 4:3 programming.

just my .02

Roger_C

Stunt Coordinator
I don't really have the ability for HDTV, but what about DVD's? Isn't the widescreen better?

BradZ

Stunt Coordinator
As long as a 4:3 set has an anamorphic squeeze function, dvd's will look just as good on a 4:3 set as they do on a 16:9, just larger letterbox bars. (do a search for anamorphic squeeze for more info) The anamorphic squeeze essentially makes the 4:3 set into a 16:9 set. Anything outside of the letterbox is dead screen and all the scan lines are squeezed inside the letterbox. Now, if you are the kind of person who can't stand letterboxing, then you should probably go ahead and get the widescreen (you'll still have small bars for 2.35 Aspect Ratios though).

Whatever you do, make sure any set you choose is acceptable for the programming you watch. Make sure you demo them with NTSC signals if that is what you'll be using it for. Many sets look gorgeous showing HDloops, but look terrible for normal analog viewing- ask to see an analog signal and play with the stretch modes to see if you can live with them. The panasonic would drive me nuts, but maybe you'll like it. If a store won't let you switch sources, don't buy from them. In the end you're the one who has to live with your choice, if you're spending $2K plus you really need to be comfortable with your decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks